Help from dog owners and vets....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalarast

Reaction score
I get Alot of good advice from here regarding brewing and I need some other help. My wife and kids dog is acting weird in her heat cycle. Here is a quick background on her. 9 month old female boxer showing obvious signs of in heat. Ie bleeding enlarged vulva and just being a bum. She is scheduled to get fixed but her appointment is not for two weeks or so due to the waiting list. Here is my concern that I found odd with her compared to dogs I had in the past in heat. she is as I mentioned Above lethargic and she also has been eating less which can be normal. The odd behavior is that it seems it hurts her to bark and it comes out like a yelp. Petting her neck and pupping her head closer to check her throat she also yelpped when I touched her neck. I'm probably going to have the wife take her to the vet in the morning but trying to get info I can. Should I be concerned or is this something normal that I have not seen? It's my kids first dog so any parents understand my concern. Thanks in advance.

I've never seen a dog in heat with a sore neck. That's just weird, so I'm guessing the two are unrelated. Does she play fetch with sticks a lot? Might be a splinter somewhere or something. See if you can look in her mouth without getting bitten, you might see something out of the ordinary in there.

I tried to look In her mouth and don't see much or anythig odd. But I know th kids gave her a pork bone and I'm concerned it might of splintered. And of course it's not a natural thing for them to give her a bone but it's a thougt.

How far along is she on her heat cycle?

Just make sure she's not experiencing vomiting, loss of appetite, depression, increased drinking and/or urinating. We lost a dog earlier this year to pyo.

Well she just started bleeding two days ago so I know there is the inital week or so prior to bleeding so inherent second week. So far no vomitting or increased urination. I saw pyo on my initial Internet search and that's why I posted this. Right now she is laying/cuttling on my wife and she justed yelped and then back to snoozing on my prime real estate. it's odd so I'm wondering if it could be a bone splinter combined with heat. Anything I can do to help her or is the vet the only way to help her if it is a splinter? Man it's worse knowing I have two daughters who will be going into ther own heat in like 10 years. Damn being a parent can suck at times.

How far along is she on her heat cycle?

Just make sure she's not experiencing vomiting, loss of appetite, depression, increased drinking and/or urinating. We lost a dog earlier this year to pyo.

I thought that too, but I don't think a sore neck area would be indicative of that.

You've been around dogs in heat before, I assume? Does she smell different compared to the other ones? Don't get your face down in there or anything, you'd probably be able to smell pyometra from across the room. If she smells weird, get her to the vet right away, it can kill them quick.

The pork bone might be an issue. Did she start eating less after she got the bone?

Could be kennel cough or something like that too. I heard about some new dog influenza that's been getting pretty common.

No odd smell at all so hopefully no pyo. she did eat less after the bone but her laziness was there beforehand for a normally active dog. No 5 mile runs with her like normal and she acts lie she needs help to get on the couch. Oh and I apologize for spelling or grammer errors since Im using a my iPod toch while the wife is on the laptop searching for info.

Ask your wife if she ran five miles the first time she got her period. :cross:

Which part of the neck is it that hurts? How about the stomach, does that hurt her too?

Also, is lyme disease common where you live?

For some odd reason the wife does not run with me anymore. she doesn't show soreness on her belly or even when I rub or scratch her neck. She is obviously in pain when she moves her neck despite slowness to move her body in more of looking tired than in pain.

Lyme disease is not common in the area but I am I the field once a month but do check myself for ticks prior to entering house or even heading home. Have not had a tick on me since the summer. Hell I think I carry more ticks and fleas on me than she ever did.

As long as she's drank water and eaten today and kept both down and isn't showing any signs of pain on her stomach, I doubt there's anything severely wrong. Going to the vet tomorrow wouldn't be a bad idea, though.

Keep an eye on the blood, though. If it gets really dark or it starts to smell fishy, get her to an emergency place if your regular vet isn't open. Pyometra is very very bad. I doubt that's it though.

How long ago did she eat that bone, anyway?

We had pork chops last night and they "gave" her what they did not eat (not a table scrap dog either so you could already imagine my happiness when they fed the dog). So the bone, if that what it is, has only been there one day. She is keeping everything down; but when she is laying down for a while on her princess bed (its really a kids princess fold out couch that she took over.... I live with three women Jesus!) and gets up she is making her little yelp noise.. looks over at the kids and wags her tail and attempts to cuddle with them. I am keeping the kids away from her cause I know the mood swings that dogs (and females) can have when in their cycle. Of course them being 3 and 5 doesn't help.

I don't know what to tell ya. All my females have been weird on their first heats, so it might just be that. The general rule of thumb is if they're eating and drinking it's usually not life threatening. If they're open and you feel like dropping some money, it wouldn't hurt to at least call the vet tomorrow. I'm no expert though, so feel free to ignore me.

Good luck to the pup!

I don't know what to tell ya. All my females have been weird on their first heats, so it might just be that. The general rule of thumb is if they're eating and drinking it's usually not life threatening. If they're open and you feel like dropping some money, it wouldn't hurt to at least call the vet tomorrow. I'm no expert though, so feel free to ignore me.

Good luck to the pup!

Thanks to you and everyone else who posted! I got the pet plan at PetSmart so I get a slight discount on vet fees so might have the wife take her tomorrow if she does not improve. I mean I need my running partner back...err the kids playmate and wife's dog back!

Send deathweed a pm, I believe he is about to become a veterinarian. I could be completely wrong, but I dont think so.

Well just got back from the vet this morning and got some blood work done and some other tests. She is not showing any signs for pyrometria which is good; but not 100% guaranteed (I hate doctors and animal doctors) but told me to just keep following up on her and see if she starts vomiting and drinking more water and such. Given some anti-bacterial meds and anti-inflammatory meds for her.. so basically they are saying my dog is the biggest wuss in the world... Great

Back