Help! first 1BBL mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bazowie

Reaction score
Ok so I have a RIMS tube to keep the wort at 155 for 60min but it does not have the power to ramp to 168-170 for sparge, Beer Smith says to add 11G of 202F water to wort to bring to 168 then to fly sparge with 6.64G of 168F.
The real question is do I add that 202F right on top of the 155F mash stir it to get it to 168F wait 10 min then fly with 168F.

Im sure this is right im just looking for confirmation and feedback.

Thanks

Yes. Essentially it's a partial batch sparge. Or another way to think of it is a step mash as if you had a cooler and no rims. I be on a 1bbl system as well and I also use beersmith and trust it.

Yes. Essentially it's a partial batch sparge. Or another way to think of it is a step mash as if you had a cooler and no rims. I be on a 1bbl system as well and I also use beersmith and trust it.

Ok so if you mix in the 200+ (and this means using the mash paddle again) after doing the rims (constant vourlaf ) do I need to recirculate again before I sparge?

Also when I batch sparge I do a first running into the BK then add the sparge water stir, wait 10 and run that into the BK.
I don't put the sparge water into the Mash with the first run wort.

Does any of this make sense? Conufsed

correct because you.have already added "the first batch" so like you said, add the 200+, stir in, recirc, then if to the bk. do that one more time with the proper amount of water around 170ish and you should be good. check your volumes and preboil gravity then you're off to the races.

correct because you.have already added "the first batch" so like you said, add the 200+, stir in, recirc, then if to the bk. do that one more time with the proper amount of water around 170ish and you should be good. check your volumes and preboil gravity then you're off to the races.

So just one more round.
I mash in at 155 for 45 min, (on top of that I add the 200+) to bring to 168?
or do I run the 155 to the bk first?

Sorry to be so annoying.

Add the hot water directly to the entire mash volume. Then recirc and lauter. The reason I wouldn't want to lauter first is because the active enzymes in that part of the mash hasn't been denatured yet which is what the hot water will do as well as dissolve the sugars you've produced. Hope that makes sense.
Cheers!

Add the hot water directly to the entire mash volume. Then recirc and lauter. The reason I wouldn't want to lauter first is because the active enzymes in that part of the mash hasn't been denatured yet which is what the hot water will do as well as dissolve the sugars you've produced. Hope that makes sense.
Cheers!

Yes thanks so much

Well the grains are crushed and the trigger has been pulled. :ban:

20130324_181634.jpg

20130324_181804.jpg

Things didn't go as planed in a 40 g mash tun with 84 pounds of grain and 26 gallons of strike water you "can not" add 11 gallons of 202 deg water to bring it to 168 deg not enough room ended up draining 5 gal, adding 190 and only got 160, recirced drained 7 g added 204 deg and got 170 sparged with 170 to get 33 g in the boil pot, hit my gravity but boiled off 1 gal more than expected ended up with 30 g. Also took an second running put it in my 15 g boil pot boiled for 120 min and ended up with a 1.045 ale, Total 40 gallons of beer, damn im tired.!!!!

Wow. That is a heck of busy brew day. Looks like you got what you were looking for though; I'm sure once it is in the keg all will seem right with the world again.

Wow. That is a heck of busy brew day. Looks like you got what you were looking for though; I'm sure once it is in the keg all will seem right with the world again.

Thanks, im sure it will, bubbling away as I type.

Back