Help finding a pipe fitting??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverKing

Reaction score
I'm looking for a hex nipple to connect two keg coupler nuts. The same nuts that connect to a keg coupler and/or the back end of a faucet shank. I just need a straight nipple to connect two of them. From what I can tell the thread size I'm looking for is listed as "7/8"-14 (5/8" BSP-british standard pipe, not tapered) (U.S. Beer Industry Standard).

Having some trouble finding a source for this metric part. Haven't heard back from McMaster-Carr yet either. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Given how hard it is to find, perhaps there is another way to accomplish your objective. What exactly are you trying to accomplish by joining two hoses this way?

There really is no other way to do this without cutting the lines every time I need to reconfigure the system, which isn't an option here.

I've found a bunch of suppliers for metric fittings, but not one that can sell very small quantities. What I need is a specialty plumbing or pipe source, just curious if anyone knows of one that I might be able to buy from online.

There really is no other way to do this without cutting the lines every time I need to reconfigure the system, which isn't an option here.

I've found a bunch of suppliers for metric fittings, but not one that can sell very small quantities. What I need is a specialty plumbing or pipe source, just curious if anyone knows of one that I might be able to buy from online.

Possibility of cutting the line once and putting a quick disconnect of some sort in it with 2 "pigtails"?

I think you are looking for something like this (where "=" is the nipple, "<" &">" are nuts, and "---" is beerline):
--< = >---

I'm thinking an extra disconnect so you could swap ends like this:
>---{}-----
]----{

Wow, if can you make sense of that I'll be impressed. ;)

I'm looking for a hex nipple to connect two keg coupler nuts. The same nuts that connect to a keg coupler and/or the back end of a faucet shank.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Ummm... How about buying a very short shank? Guaranteed to work.

nevermind. i swore i saw a place that sold bare shanks one time (no coupler for the faucet), but must have been drunk at the time.

look at micromatic.com this is a common part used for bulkheads for example through a cooler for a jockey box. Never mind, Walker's link is good. I might have a couple of these.

good link. A length of shank is definitely on my fall-back list, I'm gonna check around and see if I can find a hex nipple first, but I'll bookmark the link for sure. thanks!

With the 2 included nuts tightened against each other, that would work as a hex nipple.

I looked at those, but I'm not sure of the trivalent coating for beer line. Was looking to find stainless. They are on my list to call on Monday to see if they have a stainless part.

I personally wouldn't be worried about trivalent plating. Chromium III is an essential trace mineral (it is the chromium in chromium picolinate which is sold as a supplement). They do, however, say that you may receive hexavalent plated fittings until stock is depleted. That would be much more of a concern and I'd want to be sure of which I was getting before ordering.

With the 2 included nuts tightened against each other, that would work as a hex nipple.

sure would, but I was looking for something with a bit more of a "professional" look. Only because I'm building it for a friend that wants to put it in his bar. It's a good option, for sure. Just not my first choice is all.

I personally wouldn't be worried about trivalent plating. Chromium III is an essential trace mineral (it is the chromium in chromium picolinate which is sold as a supplement). They do, however, say that you may receive hexavalent plated fittings until stock is depleted. That would be much more of a concern and I'd want to be sure of which I was getting before ordering.

no doubt. My main concern is when it gets cleaned with acid and/or caustic cleaners...how that reacts with the plating....also, the prolonged contact with beer.

What you are looking for is a SAE straight thread union, here is the Parker part number I think you are looking for 10 F5OHAO-SS. Check with local hydraulic part suppliers and they should be able to lookup the Parker number and cross reference it to what ever brand they represent.

What you are looking for is a SAE straight thread union, here is the Parker part number I think you are looking for 10 F5OHAO-SS. Check with local hydraulic part suppliers and they should be able to lookup the Parker number and cross reference it to what ever brand they represent.

What makes you think I need SAE? Everything I can find so far calls for BSPP.

The size and threads are the same as a #10 SAE fitting, look up the fitting data for both as they appear to be identical. Good luck with your search for a #10 BSPP male X Male SS fitting, the catalogs I have either jump that size or they do not make one. Try a marine supply house as they will likely have a line on who custom manufactures them for the international trade.

The 10 in the part number Kladue provided is the dash size. Dash 10 is 5/8-14 BSP (7/8-14). The part should fit the bill.

I wonder if the O-ring boss would bottom out before the tailpiece washer does. I actually found a guy down the street that offered to machine them. A bit more expensive, but might just work out.

Back