Help figure out regulator leak?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoaringMoose

Reaction score
Just tried to set up my keg system. I hooked up the regulator to the co2 tank making sure the washer was in correctly. I tightened it with a wrench as much as I could, and I Hooked up tubing and everything else. I thought everything looked good, but when i go to open the Co2 tank the regulator leaks an alarming amount right at the bolt/co2 connection.

Searched around and tried everything I could find with no luck.

What is going on? What am I missing? I made sure the plastic washer was in there, and everything was as tight as it could get. Could i have a bad regulator?

Is this a good enough picture? This is without the plastic washer in, but I do have it in when I hook everything up.

S8Tnvix.jpg

Is the nylon washer centered? It may have gotten cracked either from just bad luck or cranking everything down. Hold it up to the light and give it some gentle flex to see if there are any hairline cracks.
It could be a bad o-ring somewhere along the way and it just sounds like it's coming from the input side.

Just checked and it seems centered, and there doesn't seem to be any cracks in it. The only thing i noticed was a small piece(less than 1mm) that seems like it was leftover from making it.

DXNAFli.jpg

Pull the gasket and look for any metal burrs. I'd try another gasket and see if that fixes it. Seems like I remember a Thread about a regulator that had a machining flaw behind the gasket that wouldn't allow it to seal. I can't find it now. Chasing leaks is aggravating.

Thanks for all your help. Nothing seemed to work. I think i'll bring it into my local store to see if they can figure out what's going on. If it's not a good regulator maybe they'll be kind enough to switch it out.

I was able to get it to work long enough to purge the oxygen out of my keg. So i at least know my beer won't go bad.

The gaskets I get from my gas supplier have a much smaller diameter center hole. You might also try a rubber O-ring to fit the tank side, looks like there is space for one. Can't remember if I use one though.

Thanks everyone for your help! Finally figured out what was going on. The regulator had a faulty release valve. When I turned the co2 open the valve would just immediately open. I thought it was coming from the connection. I taped the valve shut for now.

I really hope the home brewing store I bought the regulator from will be willing to exchange it.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what brand regulator it is. It came in a unlabeled box when i bought it.

I haven't had a chance to return it yet. The store is a little ways from where I live, but the tape seems to be holding up fine for now. I tested for any leaks and none so far.

When I go to return it I will try to figure out what brand it is.

I know technically you don't need teflon tape on these connections, but for a few cents I use it on all my connections.

Back