Help, DIY Float tube has no beer coming out.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beervoid

Hophead & Pellet Rubber
Reaction score
So I've been using my DIY float tubes since months without problems.

I've got 2 kegs that I use as fermenters with DIY floating diptubes on them so I can dry hop loose.

I dry hopped 4 days ago and started cold crashing today at 0c.
Both kegs are connected simultaneously to gas at about 10psi to make sure there is constant pressure while crashing.
6 hours in I thought I take a small sample by connecting a line to the keg out, but to my surprise no beer came out.
Then I tried my other keg and it got the same problem.. A small hissing can be heard from some c02 coming out but no beer.

Thinking maybe by some unluck the DIY float tubes came off the diptube on both kegs somehow??
I decided to unscrew one poppet to see what would happen... More hissing as I released it and then the poppet came up but didn't come out completely. This is a sign to me that the diptube should still be connected to the DIY tube as it had resistance..
All this time only co2 was coming out and I quickly screwed the post back on.

I've tried blowing some co2 through the liquid out hoping to clear perhaps some hop debris on both kegs without any result...

I have no idea what is going on the only thing I can think of is somehow I've got alot of foam in the top of the keg and the DIY floating tube is somehow floating on there?

Any tips/suggestions experiences from anyone here?

Could be totally irrelevant to your situation, but I recently had a keg of beer with a floating dip tube in it partially freeze. When I opened the tap, I got foam and hissing. Discovered the problem by releasing the pressure, then opening the keg. Blocks of ice... ugh. Dip tube was basically sitting in free space.

Finally got it thawed, re-mixed, and re-settled, and thankfully it's fine.

I don't think you will figure it out unless you open the keg.

I have no idea what is going on the only thing I can think of is somehow I've got alot of foam in the top of the keg and the DIY floating tube is somehow floating on there?

Assuming not frozen, this is most likely your issue. Temporarily increase the pressure to 30 PSI to knock the foam down and try a pour.

Thanks for the replies.
I had to open one to find out what happened or else I couldnt sleep haha.

Turned out the silicon tubing was twisted and didnt let any beer through.
How did it happen? Well I gave both floats a cleaning the day before fermenting. I remember I had to pull very hard to get the silicon tubing loose from the diptube. Problem with this is that the tubing was stretched and thinner so it didnt hold its form as good anymore.
As a result the tubing was weak and easily twisted and closed itself.
I've had to open them both and while flushing co2 through the gas in I tried to replace the floats as fast as I could (not easy with the tubes fitting very tight over the diptube).
Very painful after all the dry hops in there... I probably lost big amount of aroma and am worried about oxidation.
Flushed the headspace multiple times after closing the lids and hoping for the best.
Lesson learned with 2 kegs!
Dont stretch the silicon tubing. And replace them if you do.
Turns out these silicon tubing diy floats are quiet spendy if u have to replace the silicon tubing much

Right, you shouldn't literally yank the tubing off, as it is indeed thin and pliable, and likely to become deformed. You "shimmy" or peel it off slowly.

Hopefully, though, silicone is much cheaper than silicon. ;)

Right, you shouldn't literally yank the tubing off, as it is indeed thin and pliable, and likely to become deformed. You "shimmy" or peel it off slowly.

Hopefully, though, silicone is much cheaper than silicon. ;)
Haha right silicone!
It was stuck pretty hard really no way to get it off, believe me I tried. After a couple uses it gets pretty darn tight. Might have to make a routine to take it off every single time.
On that note how do people here clean the inner tubing from these float tubes?
Ive soaked them in pbw and boiled them for a bit but there are always some bits and pieces of stuff left inside.
The first few uses it doesnt seem to be a problem to just rinse and sanitize but after a couple of uses I get anxious to use them in the fermentation vessel.

Back