HELP! CO2 Regulator broken - Dial doesn't catch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm having a little problem with my CO2 regulator, and seeing as you fine people have been a tremendous help in the past, I thought someone here might be able to help.

I have a basic regulator. Dual gauge, but the one that reads pressure in the tank is broken (the needle fell out). The other gauge works fine, and I've never had a problem with it.

When I open the CO2 tank, I can't get the regulator pressure (pressure out, into the keg) to turn up. I turn the dial (it's one of the red plastic ones that turns the screw-thing) but it doesn't turn smoothly, it's bumpy, and the pressure doesn't turn up on the gauge (and CO2 doesn't come out at the end, either, so it's not a gauge problem). I think the red plastic dial isn't catching with the screw.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I'd even be fine taking the red dial off and turning the regulator up the old-fashioned way, but I can't figure out how (and can't find any good instructions online).

As always, thanks for the help.

I had this problem with my Taprite. The threads got all gummed up and caused the red knob to strip out. You can take a couple of flat screwdrivers and pry off the knob. That will reveal an Allen head screw that you can turn with an Allen wrench to adjust pressure. This will get you by until you can order a replacement bonnet kit or a new knob. You'll likely need to unthread the bonnet assembly (that's the black plastic piece behind the knob) to get to the metal screw and nut, as they will need to be cleaned to allow smooth turning again.

Edit: here's a link to a new bonnet assembly. Includes the knob, bonnet, screw, & nut.

I saw just the knob for sale somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment. I will see if I can locate it and will post a link when/if I do.

Found it!

Latest posts

Back