Help cloning Paulaner Oktoberfest Weisn beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just emailing Christian the head brewer at Paulaner. He said since last year they no longer use herkules hops, just Hallertau tradition. He said 55% of the hops go in at the start of the boil (just emailed him back and asked how long he boils for) and 45% of the hops go in at the last 10 minutes of the boil. They do a double decoction (he says “with 10 min cooking time each mash” so I assume each time he pulls a 1/3rd of the mash he boils it for only 10 minutes) and also said the the finished product is about 22 EBU (same thing as IBU, no difference). I’ll get back to this with more info once he emails me back with a response. And yes it’s 80% Weyermann Pilsner and 20% Weyermann munich type 2. It’s about a 2 week fermentation time and then lagered for 4 weeks at 29° F or -1.5°C

@jdauria @Bottoms_Up @homebrewer_99 @smirdok @Qhrumphf @SlanginDueces @BrewerE @Larzean @hio3791 @divrguy @TeamAshBrewing @wobdee @

No response yet but following up… I assume he does a 90 minute boil, I typically use 60 min boils but it seems most use a 90 min when using Pilsner malt. So here’s what the current recipe should look like.

1.056 OG
22 IBU
5 SRM
FG 1.011
ABV 6%

Water chemistry
Ca 22ppm
Mg 8 ppm
Na 0ppm
SO4 31ppm
CI 39ppm
HCO3 0ppm

^ the above water profile is what is said to be the water from Paulaners well.

Double decoction mash, each boil is 10 min long.

80% Weyermann Pilsner
20% Weyermann munich type 2

90 min boil

Start of boil add in 17.2 ibu worth of Hallertau tradition hops

10 min left of boil add in 4.8 ibu worth of Hallertau tradition hops

Their yeast as of now is a secret, I’ll ask him what he uses but doubt he’ll tell me, but I assume either wlp820 or wlp920

Ferment 2 weeks
Lager 4 weeks
Carb to 2.7 vol

Thanks @tderanleu. Paulaner Oktoberfest is definitely one of my favourites, and I have tried to clone it in the past.

Regarding your recipe, I would add sauergut to give it more of an authentic taste (see below).

If you have a chance, can you verify whether they still add sauergut (in order to increase the acidity)? Unbeknownst to most, that makes a huge difference in the taste of German lagers and tastes much different than just adding aciduated malt or lactic acid. It has almost an orange/apple/grape juice type of taste. It's not difficult to make, but requires 2 or 3 days.

Regarding their yeast, it is a house strain, and one of their most closely-guarded secrets. So it will be impossible to find that strain. But hopefully, the Brewmaster can recommend something that is close.

Another unknown is their fermentation temperature. I assume about 48 F.

Another favourite of mine is Paulaner Munchner Hell.

Do you have any first-hand information on the process/ingredients used to make it as well?

Last edited:
Thanks @tderanleu. Paulaner Oktoberfest is definitely one of my favourites, and I have tried to clone it in the past.

Regarding your recipe, I would add sauergut to give it more of an authentic taste (see below).

If you have a chance, can you verify whether they still add sauergut (in order to increase the acidity)? Unbeknownst to most, that makes a huge difference in the taste of German lagers and tastes much different than just adding aciduated malt or lactic acid. It has almost an orange juice type of taste. It's not difficult to make, but requires 2 or 3 days.

Regarding their yeast, it is a house strain, and one of their most closely-guarded secrets. So it will be impossible to find that strain. But hopefully, the Brewmaster can recommend something that is close.

Do you have any first-hand information on the process/ingredients used to make it as well?
I did find out it’s a 70 min boil, and after some investigating I believe the yeast strain to be wlp838

Where did you find that information?
The boil time was given to me from the paulaner head brewer himself. But the yeast.. is honestly just a solid guess, I read on the Paulaner website they use a munich lager yeast.. and after having the recipe on my BeerSmith that yeast was the only one that didn’t mess up the fg and abv. Few of the other munich/southern Germany lager yeasts would lend a high fg, a few would dry it up a lot. Wlp838 was on the money. Could I be wrong absolutely, but I do believe it’s the best bet

And I am not sure if they use sauergut, I just emailed him back and asked if they use it and what their targeted mash ph is… maybe he’ll tell me that info or maybe not but I hope he does lol

The boil time was given to me from the paulaner head brewer himself. But the yeast.. is honestly just a solid guess, I read on the Paulaner website they use a munich lager yeast.. and after having the recipe on my BeerSmith that yeast was the only one that didn’t mess up the fg and abv. Few of the other munich/southern Germany lager yeasts would lend a high fg, a few would dry it up a lot. Wlp838 was on the money. Could I be wrong absolutely, but I do believe it’s the best bet
WLP820 is another possibility.

If you have a chance, can you verify whether they still add sauergut (in order to increase the acidity)? Unbeknownst to most, that makes a huge difference in the taste of German lagers and tastes much different than just adding aciduated malt or lactic acid. It has almost an orange juice type of taste. It's not difficult to make, but requires 2 or 3 days.

He wouldn’t tell me if they use sauergut, so I’m going to make the assumption that they do because according to their purity laws that would be the only way they could do so unless they use acid malt but sauergut is very very common in German beers especially lagers. Anyways I did the math for Weyermanns sauergut, 4.7 ML of Weyermann sauergut per pound of grain in the mash will drop the ph by 0.1

He wouldn’t tell me if they use sauergut, so I’m going to make the assumption that they do because according to their purity laws that would be the only way they could do so unless they use acid malt but sauergut is very very common in German beers especially lagers. Anyways I did the math for Weyermanns sauergut, 4.7 ML of Weyermann sauergut per pound of grain in the mash will drop the ph by 0.1
the result of using Weyermann's aciduated malt will taste very different than using actual sauergut. A friend and I have been experimenting with it for the past year. Many of the German breweries, such as Hacker-Pschorr, use it. I've never been able to determine whether or not Paulaner uses it, although both is owned by the same company (Brau Holding International AG, which in turn is owned by Dutch Heineken N.V. and Schorghuber Corporate Group).

I do know that sauergut is most likely used in Paulaner Pils:

https://www.**********************/...echs Vollbier,have these flavor notes galore.
"Paulaner Pils and Andechs Vollbier Hell, in particular, are some really nice examples of the power of Sauergut, as they have these flavor notes galore."

Last edited:
Back