Help Classifying a Beer for competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NevermoreBrew

Reaction score
I plan on entering this beer in an upcoming competition but I have no idea what BJCP class it should be considered.

Color: 8
IBU: 37

its base is wheat with some pilsner, bavarian wheat, and Crystal malt in it. There is also a little bit of rye and caramel wheat in it as well.

i used cascade, centennial and amarillo hops in the boil with centennial and cascaded dry hops.

nottingham yeast.

this is my favorite homebrew to date i just dont really know how to classify it. its not quite an IPA. THe closest category i could find is american pale ale but im not sure if wheat falls into that. Its too hoppy to be a weizen.

Any comments are appreciated

From the comps I've been in, brewing "to style" is a big deal. I've had some great beers that I thought were close to style that got dinged badly for being out of style. If you're not even sure what style the beer is, you'll probably get a bad score.

Now, if the judges are good you might get some good feedback, but with that beer I'd expect to lose (badly) in any category you enter.

Yeah, if you're entering beers into a competition, you'll want to brew them FOR the competition, choosing a specific style and trying to brew it it accurately. That's really what BJCP competitions are all about, and what they are judged on. It doesn't matter if your beer is the best thing ever - if it doesn't fit style guidelines perfectly, it's simply not going to score well.

The only category such a beer would really fit would be:

Category 23 Specialty Beers

You should be able to get decent feedback if you entered there.

Do you think part of that feedback might be "should of been entered in catagory XX"? That would be good for future competitions but is kind of outside the judges scope.
Also is the recomendation because the recipe is a bit of a "throw a handful of this and a smidgen of that" or because it actually wouldn't fall under any other catagory?

Back