Help choosing the right burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jopeylegs

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a burner to brew outdoors since the stove and kitchen really aren't doing it for me.

From my research online, it looks like the top two burners for home brewing are the Blichmann Floor Burner and the Edelmetall Bru Burner.

Aside from BTUs, is there anything specific that I should be looking for in a burner? Anyone that has experience with either of these burners have advice?
Are there other good burners out there that I should look at as well?

Right now, I am just doing five gallon batches, however I want to buy a burner that will support 10-15 gallon batches in the future. I'm assuming that these burners have easily adjustable flames for precision with different boil volumes.

Let me know,

Thanks!

I have the Blichmann and love it. I also bought the longer legs.

My first burner was a Bayou Classic SQ14 (still have it). Good burner, but loud. The Blichmann runs quiet and more BTUs (72,000 vs. 54,000 for the SQ14). Both supplied more than sufficient heat to do 5 gallon batches. The Blichmann will get you to boil faster. I have no doubt it will be fine for 10 gallon batches.

I don't have first-hand experience with the Edelmetall, though it's very close in price to the Blichmann. The Edelmetall has only 3 legs and is made from some copper plated metal. I would spring the extra $10 and go with the stainless steel Blichmann.

Check out Amazon for the Bayou Classic KAB4. Its the same burner ring, different regulator as the Blichmann. $90. It will fit a Keggle just barely. If your nervous or want a big kettle... You can uograde to the KAB6 for more $ with a wider platform. I have both KAB4 and Blichmann. Blichmann also has legs and better efficiency. But its stuff that can be overcome with some thought.

Back