Help checking OG #s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joyceman

Reaction score
Due to some unfortunate wort transfer accidents with a batch last night, I lost a good amount of my first runnings and ended up missing my OG numbers by around 11-12 points. My OG came in around 1036-37 when it should have been 1048-49.

To try to get my numbers back up I boiled down a gal of 3rd runnings with an OG of 1013. I took it down to a little under a quart (which should have OG around 1050 or so, and added a pound of sugar.

The sugar should give me an additional 8-9 points. But how many points will the 3 pints of boiled down wort at 1050 add? Anyone math oriented who can tell me how to run those numbers?

It's a weighted average, and for the sake of simplicity, you can just use the points, you'll the same answer as if you'd considered the whole 1.xxx.

Final points = ( (part A points x part A volume) + (part B points x part B volume) ) / total volume

What units you use for volume doesn't matter, as long as they're the same units for both part A and part B... e.g., you can do one quart plus twenty quarts, or five gallons plus 0.25 gallons, but you'll get a wonky result if you try to do five gallons plus one quart.

Back