Help: Breaker Tripping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverbeer

Reaction score
Just put this together. Everything works fine for a couple of minutes, then trips breaker.
I'm using a 2000 watt Wadlow heat stick and when I turn it on, it heats up very hot and then trips breaker. Running 50 amp gfci circuit. Any ideas why this is happening?
Also what is the best way to control flow on a chugger pump. I've tried flow control with a ball valve on the inlet side, but it seems to strain pump. Should I have the ball valve on outlet side? Is electric speed control on the pump better for the pump?

DSCN2729.jpg

DSCN2730.jpg

rearding chugger pumps (or any mag drive)... taken from brewhardware.com

These are not self priming pumps. The pump head must be flooded with liquid prior to turning the pump on. The easiest way to do this is to let liquid fill the inlet hose prior to connecting it to the pump. If the pump squeels or makes loud noises, shut it down and make sure the head is full of liquid.

If you wish to regulate the flow rate, it must be done on the output side of the pump.

as for tripping the break, i'd guess that you have a short / loose wire somewhere. open it up and examine everything is my best reccomendation

thanx knub, i'll relocate my ball valve to output side.
the pump runs fine and doesn't trip breaker, so I know the problem is not there. the breaker doesn't trip until the heat stick has been on for a couple of minutes .
Has anyone used a heat stick? I have Watlow heat cartidge mounted in a compression fitting and it gets very hot, could that be the problem? Should the whole stick be in RIMS tube?

DSCN2731.jpg

I'm no electrician but here's my thoughts:

Is the circuit breaker tripping or the GFCI? If it's the breaker than you have a short that's drawing over 50 amps. Open your box and you'll probably see evidence of arcing somewhere. Either that or your ground is contacting a hot line somewhere.

If it's the GFCI I'd guess your heat-stick is probably leaking.

Back