Help; aluminum kettle mold!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flashover600

Reaction score
Please help!

I didn't do the good clean up job the other day that I normally do! I went into my garage and noticed mold growing at the bottom of my aluminum kettle! The pictures shown is after my attempt to clean it with star san. Any ideas on what I can do to make it safe to brew again? Thanks all!

163639_499973329731_719594731_5829954_6341033_n.jpg

167099_499973284731_719594731_5829953_1407024_n.jpg

Shot at 2011-01-17

This is gonna sound really odd, but at this point i think your best bet would be some fine grain sand paper, Sand the crap outta it, use the wet/dry sand paper, and FYI never use Star San on aluminum.Don't ask me why, i was just told not to use any acid based products on my aluminum brew pot, im guessing possible chemical reaction.Wet sand it, then rinse it well.

I would go the sand route.

From what i understand the problem with acids and aluminum is that it will remove the oxide layer. Once you have your kettle all nice and shiny, boil a full pot of water for a little bit to reform the oxide layer on the al, and you should be good to go.

A scotch brite type pad and either oxiclean or a powdered bleach cleanser will take the mold right off. It looks like the oxide layer has already been removed from the star-san, so as mentioned you'll need to re-create one.

As for cleaners for future use, don't use bleach, caustic cleaners, or acidic cleaners. Also don't use abrasive scrubbers because they will remove the oxide layer. When I used an aluminum pot I cleaned with a little dish soap and a sponge and then rinsed very well.

Are you sure that is mold? from the pictures it looks like it could just be burnt residue... then again i'm not there to see it in person.

Are you sure that is mold? from the pictures it looks like it could just be burnt residue... then again i'm not there to see it in person.

i'm thinking that, by the pics, it may just be burnt residue too. soak it in a little clorox solution overnight

It appears that you already have pitting going on, which is pretty serious. Your best option depending on the thickness of the material is to sand it out. But dont be surprised if its already too late to salvage.

And dont soak it in anything at all from this point. If that is indeed pitting (from what I see in the pics) a soak in anything before the pitting is removed will cause further damage. If time does not permit you to work it now, then keep it as dry as possible. But haveing said that, get back to it as soon as possible

Back