Help adjusting hop schedule (late additions)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agreen

Reaction score
I have a Midwest liberty cream ale kit ready to brew tomorrow. It is extract and I am going to use the late addition method with my LME so I can get the right color.

The original hop schedual is
1 oz 7.3AA Cascade @ 60min
1 oz 7.3AA Cascade @ 5 min

I am fairly new at using the late extract addition method. My last brew turned out way more bitter due to the increased hop utilization. What I was thinking about doing is cutting my bittering hops to .5 oz and adding the extra .5 of cascade hops to the 1 oz o finishing hops to make it 1.5 oz

Will this change make the hop profile come out to something close to the original recipe (without the use of late additions)?

Will this change make the hop profile come out to something close to the original recipe (without the use of late additions)?

In short, no.

Adding more hops later in the boil will increase the hops flavor and aroma. It might be pretty good if you love hops, but it will change the flavor and aroma quite a bit by adding 50% more hops later in the boil.

I'd only decrease the bittering hops by 20-25%, not 50%, if you're worried you won't have enough bitterness. A 50% reduction of bittering hops is a LOT to decrease by, and you will end up with a too-sweet unbalanced beer. A 20% reduction would be ok, though.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for he help man. We'll see if I can sleep tonight now. Its been awhile since my last brew day, ready to crank this one out

Back