Help a noob, infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quikclik2

Reaction score
I have a 1 gallon batch of pumpkin cider working based on a recipe I found on here. 1 can pumpkin puree, apricot preserve, us05 yeast, yeast nutrient, and tree top aj are what's in it so far. Within 24 hours had a nice fermentation going, about a bubble a second in the airlock. On day 5 this is what I have. Airlock action has slowed to about a bubble every 10 seconds. Not sure what's on top, but doesn't look like good things. Any insight?

View attachment 1448296803541.jpg

View attachment 1448296818055.jpg

Yeast and puree floaters being held up by the carbon dioxide bubbles.

Lock it in a closet and forget about it for a while.

TeeJo

quickclik2 I'm digg'n your bottle, I like that handle that does no attach to the jug.
what / where/ did you get that?

1448296803541.jpg

Yeast and puree floaters being held up by the carbon dioxide bubbles.

Lock it in a closet and forget about it for a while.

TeeJo

I have a one gal. batch of cyzer. I started in a bucket and racked into a jug. I strained out most of the floaters but the stuff that made it into my jug has formed together and floated up into the neck. I pushed it down a bit and created a hole in the center so it doesn't feed into the airlock. There is still bubbles and the mass looks like a wet sponge. I'm sure it's surrounded by CO2 but my fear is when fermentation stops something might grow on top of the "sponge". Am I just a worry wart or should I remove the mass?

Cider%2001_zpskhm3fa3o.jpg

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but what is that in the red circle? I had something similar in one of my jars of US-05 yeast that turned out to be mold.

Cider%2001_zpskhm3fa3o.jpg

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but what is that in the red circle? I had something similar in one of my jars of US-05 yeast that turned out to be mold.

It's stuck on the side of the jug, not floating on top like it looks like in that picture. It's also solid white, unlike the photo would imply, but thank you, I'll keep an eye on it for growth.

Back