hello

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jroberth

Reaction score
hello from Michigan. I'm brand new to brewing with my first batch still in the primary. I've been browsing the site for a week or so now and I can see that I can learn a lot from many of you guys (I've already had questions answered by searching). I'm probably going to be quiet for a while and just read, but I figured I'd say hi at least.

I'm originally from Saginaw, MI but in East Lansing studying fisheries and wildlife at MSU. It's nice to see that there are a lot of others in here from Michigan!

I do have one question though, if anyone could help me out:
When using secondary fermentation, is clarity the only benefit? I bought a 5-gallon glass carboy, but they didn't sell me a cap or anything for it and I didn't realize it wasn't included until I got home and laid everything out. The instructions with my ingredient kit says that you can use a secondary but it's optional, and doesn't explain anything about it. My kit came with a book and I've been reading it, but it also only mentions a secondary but doesn't really give me any information that helps me decide whether it's something I want to do or not.

I'm just trying to decide whether to use the secondary or not on this first batch (considering I'd still have to run out and buy more stuff), and if not, whether leaving it in the primary for a little extra time would be a good idea. From browsing the forums it seems like the only thing a secondary does is make the beer clearer, which I don't really see as being very important unless it's more than just aesthetics. I just want it to taste good. Is it worth it to run back to the store and get a carboy cap, or should I just grab one next time I'm there to get more ingredients and skip the primary on this one?

if it helps, the ingredient kit I bought is a brewer's best traditional european bock.

Welcome!
Secondaries are for clearing but they also allow you to bulk condition your beer. For some reason, conditioning in bulk gives you better flavors than doing it in bottles. I always use secondaries, however, it is a personal choice. I also tend to keep my beers a couple (or more) months before drinking to allow the flavors to develop.
BTW, I love carboy caps. Pick one up on your next trip to LHBS.
Advice: brew lots of beer to fill your pipeline so you too can let your beers age to maximum flavor. :mug:

Welcome, new Michibrewer! There are a lot of us here............Your first stop should be at Michigan Brewing/Things Beer in Webberville. Stu in the HBS is a great guy! I went there over Christmas break to buy some grain, and he gave SWMBO and me the complete tour of the brewery!

Thanks for the responses. I Think I will make a trip over to Michigan Brewing this weekend. I checked out the website and it looks like a real good place. I think I'm going to go ahead and use the secondary since it looks like most experienced people do it- that's probably a good enough testimony for secondaries.

Back