hello!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm new to the homebrewing hobby but I've been doing a great deal of reading as preparation before my first brew, which I did on Monday night (Labor Day) with my old lady.

I live in rural southwest VA so we have some temperature fluctuation through the various seasons, and from what I've gathered about the process of brewing, temperature control is a big deal. So I've made a small temperature controlled (willhi single stage controller) minifridge/fermenting chamber. We're using a True Brew bucket fermenter. It's ghetto but it seems to be working, 2 days later I've noticed a relative small temperature envelope it will maintain of about 58-62f.

Anyway, this is our first brew, hoping for the best but not expecting anything too outstanding. I'm hoping to put together a less "kit" style recipe for the next batch.

Welcome to the group, from CO. The forum stickies and wiki have lots of great / free info. Temp control is an outstanding place to start. My next recommendation is starters, stirplate, and O2 injection. With those and temp control, you can make outstanding beer.

Welcome! cool handle, BTW. From someone who used to watch Kaptain Kangaroo as a kid. Man does that bring back some memories! (some of them are a little fuzzy though...)

Thanks for the replies everyone.

cyclman: Funny you should mention that, as I was just searching for more information about yeast starters. I'll dig deeper and hopefully give it a shot on my next brew attempt. I already feel like my electric range just isn't going to cut it so I might cobble together a propane burner/boiler setup.

Sammy: Tri-Cities area, so basically Bristol.

Homercidal: I have to confess, my username is actually from the title of a Frank Zappa song, which I can only assume was directly borrowed from Cpt. Kangaroo.

I have several of Zappa's albums. I should look it up. It's been a while since I listened to him. Maybe the kids are old enough to hear some of them...

Back