Hello, Newbie here! ~Sharing my First Mead!~

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael N

MikeOWave
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just wanted to see how you are all doing and introduce my first mead! If you have any helpful insights please feel free to share!
First Batch: Started on my birthday. 11/10/2019

Traditional Mead(Sweet/Semi)

1 Gallon Carboy
3.55 lbs Honey(organic clover)
Filtered spring water
Lalvin 71B - Hydrated with Go-Ferm
2 Stages of Fermaid-O @ ~30 hours, ~72 hours
Starting OG: ~1.130-1.135
Current OG: 1.075 @11/14/19
Finishing OG(Hopefully): 1.020-1.025
Ferment temps: 15C-17C

It's still bubbling pretty vigorously and after sneaking a little taste off the hydrometer no high fusel tastes and has a nice sweet taste :D guessing current ABV is ~7.5%

Let me know what you guys think!

Attachments

• 20191110_130726.jpg
    20191110_130726.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
Based on the amount of honey used with 71B it should easily coast into a ~14% ABV with plenty of residual sugars left over. Keep in mind that yeast is a living thing and while 71B is rated at 14% tolerance it could easily coast anywhere within ~2% of that.

You could wind up with a 12% dessert mead to a bone dry 16% that needs back sweetening. Keep an eye on it and take readings.

Enjoy and Welcome!

Based on the amount of honey used with 71B it should easily coast into a ~14% ABV with plenty of residual sugars left over. Keep in mind that yeast is a living thing and while 71B is rated at 14% tolerance it could easily coast anywhere within ~2% of that.

You could wind up with a 12% dessert mead to a bone dry 16% that needs back sweetening. Keep an eye on it and take readings.

Enjoy and Welcome!

Yeah i have checked for the passed 2 days. Its currently sitting around 1.068 its still bubbling a lot, i added in another .8g of fermaid-o to ensure it's still well fed, and hopefully it will finish out come this Sunday, so that i can rack to secondary and start fermenting on my next idea! haha

Welcome to the forum and the hobby. I have some honey and need to make some mead after the holiday, your’s is looking fine.
Thanks! I'm looking at doing a cyser next. Try to include some allspice and cinnamon and such to make a nice warm drink for the winter time :D

Welcome to the addiction of making, the drinking comes later lol. Don’t be in too much of a hurry to rack. Once the gravity is stable, it will start to clear on its own and the yeast kind of cleans up after itself a bit. Then you can rack it once it’s mostly clear and not waste more from racking more than twice.

Welcome to the addiction of making, the drinking comes later lol. Don’t be in too much of a hurry to rack. Once the gravity is stable, it will start to clear on its own and the yeast kind of cleans up after itself a bit. Then you can rack it once it’s mostly clear and not waste more from racking more than twice.

So, what you're saying is i should go ahead and order more carboys?! haha

Back