Hello. New to Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboEtZ207

Reaction score
Hello

I have brewed many beers and wines and i am new to Mead.
Is there any tricks and tips i should know before i start to experement brewing Mead.

Thanks for your help :p

Cheers !

look up JAOM (Joe's Ancient Orange Mead)... a dead simple sweet mead... it's a good first batch to get you hooked. But it breaks all the rules of proper mead making...

Then look up BOMM (Bray's One Month Mead)... which is a also a pretty easy recipe that relies on belgian ale yeast and staggered nutrient additions (SNA... google that, too) to produce a mead that doesn't need a year or more to be palatable.

Then start branching out...

Welcome to the most addictive hobby on the planet! 😉😂 . Pretty soon, you'll have a table that looks
like this one.🤣

As @jtratcliff has mentioned JAOM & BOMM are the 2 I would point you toward, but, also, get the process of a good traditional mead down solid. (Traditional is honey, water & yeast, staggered nutrients will keep your yeast happy, which will give you a better drinkable product in less time).
I hope this helps you.
Happy meading 😎

Attachments

• img_2_1644768343216.jpg
    img_2_1644768343216.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 0
Welcome to the most addictive hobby on the planet! 😉😂 . Pretty soon, you'll have a table that looks
like this one.🤣

As @jtratcliff has mentioned JAOM & BOMM are the 2 I would point you toward, but, also, get the process of a good traditional mead down solid. (Traditional is honey, water & yeast, staggered nutrients will keep your yeast happy, which will give you a better drinkable product in less time).
I hope this helps you.
Happy meading

Looks like it would be like any hoby wanna try new stuff :p
Ok i would google and youtube a litte and then make my first one :p

Looks like it would be like any hoby wanna try new stuff :p
Ok i would google and youtube a litte and then make my first one :p
I suggest you read through these BEFORE you make anything. The BOMM thread is a LOONG read, but, there are pieces of information scattered throughout that apply to modern mead making practices.
Give this thread a read as well. It will help explain a lot.
https://gotmead.com/blog/making-mead/mead-newbee-guide/the-newbee-guide-to-making-mead/
BOMM
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/brays-one-month-mead.429241/
JAOM
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/joes-ancient-orange-mead.49106/
I hope this helps you.
Happy meading 😎

like this one.🤣

I hope this helps you.
Happy meading 😎
Omg that table.

Just keep it simple at first and also make a mead that finishes quick so you don't lose confidence or ambition.

I made a carbonated heather mead, maybe 8% abv that tastes like a floral champagne, nothing fancy just a nice sparkling drink for summer that I was drinking after a few months

Back