Hello, new member here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smorris

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to brewing, been at it about a year now since the wife bought ma a Mr. Beer setup. Have to say I'm fairly pleased with the results but am starting to look for a more sophisticated setup. Only problem is 5 gallons is a fair amount of beer. ;)

As I live in Tampa the weather gets warm so I'm building what could be described as an environmet chamber to do my brewing in. 2 sections which are chilled, one for the fermenter and one to hold the bottles while the finish and age a bit. Hopefully I can contribute something here but am already learning quite a bit just reading through the threads.

Welcome, Smorris. I have the oppisite problem. It seems that 5 gallons just isn't enough for me to keep on hand. That's why I upgraded to 10 gallon batches 8 Months ago. With my band and all my freinds coming out of the woodwork in search of grat beer, I have to keep my beer closet full. I like to have about 200-250 bottles on hand. Just remember to post often because your question could help 50 other new brewers with the same concern. Or maybe its something that they haven't thought of.

Keep brewing.

Welcome S.

I'm new here, too.

With friends like mine the beer can go fast.

With me the beer can go fast!

I also have a brew partner so we split everything.

What set up do you have now or want?

I have a couple of plastic 5 gals. and two glass carboys.

I like to use the glass so I can see what's going on. Then transfer that to the plastic (because it has a spigot) to bottle.

The best part of brewing is the parties and friends!

I have only been using 22oz bottles on some Party Pigs here and there....... less work on the bottling!

Brewman said:
The best part of brewing is the parties and friends!

I have only been using 22oz bottles on some Party Pigs here and there....... less work on the bottling!

I have used 1.5 quart plastic Soda bottles to cut the bottling hassles, but now I'm switching to german 1.25 gallon party kegs. Just the right size for a couple of friends.

I find 5-6 gallons a minimum, I have made some 3 -4 gallon batches, but if you want so save some for comparison or/aging it is really a little on the low side. :p

A big "Cheers!" and Merry Christmas (Seasons Greetings where applicable...) from Denmark to everyone on this board!

Best Regards,

Christian

You guys are lucky. No one I know enjoys good beer. They drink Coors light and tell me Sam Adams is disgusting. More beer for me, I guess, but no one to share my passion with. Maybe I'll try to brew a nice bland pilsner for them. I have two 5-gallon pails and one glass. Have yet to brew my first batch---waiting for my kettle.

I've been brewing 11 litre (sorry, 3 gallon) batches because I can get though this quicker and make more batches in a year (more practice, more different styles etc.) It's just a matter of adjusting the recipes correctly, but you can't use pre-hopped kits or they are too bitter. I boil my own hops.

Back