Hello from Zagreb, Croatia.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattHollingsworth

Reaction score
Hello all. Been lurking a bit and figured it was time to join up. This is a nice site with a lot of good info on it.

I'm an expat American living in Croatia. I work for Marvel Comics as a freelancer, so can live anywhere, so found myself over here. Been here almost 3 years.

I used to be in the Oregon Brew Crew in Portland and entered a lot of competitions and judged at a lot. Took 17 medals in one year, around 10 of them gold, then stopped entering. The biggest win was a gold medal in the IPA category at the Dixie Cup in Texas. That same IPA took two more gold in Oregon and won the Collaborator contest which meant I got to brew my IPA at Widmer Brewing for local release (12 barrel batch as I recall). I've brewed 90 batches, 80 of them all grain.

But that was a while ago. I stopped brewing in 2002 and moved around a bit and just didn't have a suitable space for brewing. I still don't *really* have a great space for brewing, but I miss it so much, I'm going to go ahead anyway. I still have a basic RIMS setup and have been slowly piecing together some other supplies lately. Still searching for supplies in Europe if anyone knows any links. I can share what I find over time.

Anyway, not sure our basement maintains a good temp for ferment during the really hot summers we have here. So, the real aim is to keep setting stuff up, getting ready all with the aim of getting really going in the autumn once the basement is cooler. If it's cooler than expected in the summer, maybe I'll start in July or August. We'll see.

As for styles, I'm definitely an ale guy. I can't get any American style beer here at all, nor British. So I will likely be brewing those styles. I can get a good range of Belgians, Germans and Czechs, so no huge need for me to brew those. But I like brewing Belgians too so will likely go that route. But man do I miss big hoppy beers. Location is all a trade off. Noticed a homebrew supplier the other day in Belgium and the British hops are cheaper over here. So there's that. But I'll have to pay more to get some of my beloved American hops.

Anyway, hello all. That's me in a nutshell. I look forward to learning from, and sharing info with you guys.

Wow. Did you just throw a dart at a map to decide where to go? Dunno that I'd have Croatia in the top 50. Then again, I've never been there either........ :D

Welcome to HBT!

Of course you know you can always grow your own hops. There is a forum here dedicated to it.

Wow. Did you just throw a dart at a map to decide where to go? Dunno that I'd have Croatia in the top 50. Then again, I've never been there either........ :D

Yes. I love darts! :)

Welcome to HBT!

Of course you know you can always grow your own hops. There is a forum here dedicated to it.

I grew some Mt Hood hops once long ago that were great. But I'm in an apartment at the moment. I aim to grow my own once we buy a house, likely in around 2 years. Curious to see that. Guess Styrian Goldings would grow well here, but curious to grow some American ones and see what they change to with the different climate and soil here.

welcome. my parents live in zagreb and enjoy it as well. finding brew supplies there must be hard?

Finding most stuff isn't even possible here. Have to do mail order for a lot of stuff. There's a huge wine making culture here, though. So I can find different sizes of demižon for fermenting.

I have been to split, Croatia and I must say, they have some of the hottest women anywhere.

Croatian women are indeed very cute.

Thanks for the greetings guys!

Cool. Sounds like you live an interesting life.

I'm assuming Croatia is a better place than it was a decade or so ago.

I'm an expat American living in Croatia.

{my capslock key is not broken, this is genuine excitement}

OH MY AWESOME! CAN YOU GET ME A RECIPE FOR ORAHOVAC?!?!? PLEEEAASSSEEEEEEE. Or better yet, what do I need to do to get you to mail me some?!?

I was in Croatia last August, loved it. I will definitely be back some day.

And, you're in Croatia! What are you doing making home brew? It is one of two countries that it is legal to home distill in. At least, that is what I was told by a nice old man while in Croatia. The other country is New Zealand. Please correct this misconception if it is wrong and if the reality is merely that the government turns a blind eye on it.

By the way, any news on the farmland to golf course conversion that the government approved of last year? That getting slowed down at all?

And, did I mention, do you have a recipe for Orahovac? Is the base plum brandy or grappa, or what? How many green walnuts are in it? What other ingredients go into it? Do you know? Ahgh, so hard to find information on this!

Thanks!

M-

Cool. Sounds like you live an interesting life.

I'm assuming Croatia is a better place than it was a decade or so ago.

I assume so. Unemployment is still a bit high but not as bad as Bosnia or Serbia. But quality of life is good here. Bit slower than the States, which is what I like.

{my capslock key is not broken, this is genuine excitement}

OH MY AWESOME! CAN YOU GET ME A RECIPE FOR ORAHOVAC?!?!? PLEEEAASSSEEEEEEE. Or better yet, what do I need to do to get you to mail me some?!?

I was in Croatia last August, loved it. I will definitely be back some day.

And, you're in Croatia! What are you doing making home brew? It is one of two countries that it is legal to home distill in. At least, that is what I was told by a nice old man while in Croatia. The other country is New Zealand. Please correct this misconception if it is wrong and if the reality is merely that the government turns a blind eye on it.

By the way, any news on the farmland to golf course conversion that the government approved of last year? That getting slowed down at all?

And, did I mention, do you have a recipe for Orahovac? Is the base plum brandy or grappa, or what? How many green walnuts are in it? What other ingredients go into it? Do you know? Ahgh, so hard to find information on this!

Thanks!

M-

Er sorry. I don't know anyone who makes orahovac so have no idea what the recipe is. The reason I want to make beer here is that the beer selection for ales is pretty bad. And I love ales. As for distillation, yes, it seems to be legal here. A lot of families with any fruit trees make their own brandy. Some of it's god awful and some of it's great. But I've never had anyone offer me orahovac. I'm not much of a hard alcohol drinker. I'm a beer guy. So that's why I make beer.

As for which countries have which laws, I'm pretty sure that almost all of the former Yugoslav countries have people making it at home. Pretty certain it's very prominent in Serbia and Bosnia, for instance. And I'd guess Bulgaria too, but never been there. Doesn't mean it's legal, per se, but might be so wide spread that nobody cares.

And about the golf courses, I have no idea. Seem to remember hearing something about this some time back. But haven't seen anything. I think they were going to be building some more in Istria and Slavonia than around here. Istria especially, for tourists. There's one here in Zagreb that I haven't been to and one nearby that has just a driving range with a new course being worked on. But that one's been there for a little while at least.

As a follow up on orahovac, really the thing to do would be to make it with someone who makes it. I've talked to a few of the older guys about rakija, for instance. And they usually give very simple answers like "I throw in some plums and cook them". Not very specific. I get the feeling that it ISN'T very specific, that they just use whatever they have. If you visit and talk to some old guy who makes orahovac, ask him if you can come make it with him and help him out. They're probably be happy to teach you what they know.

As a follow up on orahovac, really the thing to do would be to make it with someone who makes it. I've talked to a few of the older guys about rakija, for instance. And they usually give very simple answers like "I throw in some plums and cook them". Not very specific. I get the feeling that it ISN'T very specific, that they just use whatever they have. If you visit and talk to some old guy who makes orahovac, ask him if you can come make it with him and help him out. They're probably be happy to teach you what they know.

Oooh, good idea. I know it's made in early June. I am pretty sure it is an infused liqueur - possibly starts with rakija. I will have to talk someone into it next time I am out that way.

You are right, a lot of the home made stuff is just fancy gut rot, but man when it is goooooddd.. Phew!

I am totally with you on the lack of good beers in Croatia. I had people telling me, before I left, that Croatia has some of the best beers in the world. I did not encounter them. Then again, I had just been in Munich for a month, so may have been biased.

As for the golf courses, I just think it's a bit of a shame to take old, sustainable farms that were serving the community, force people out, and build a golf course on them. Especially when it is government mandated and the farmers don't have to be compensated. Then again, I'm not much of a golf player.

Latest posts

Back