Hello from the UK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barneey

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, just thought I would introduce myself to you all.

I live across the pond in the UK, have been brewing on & off for the last 20 years. Recently took up brewing again, have a 3V system + conical fermenter.

Like brewing Pale Ales & IPA`s using both English and American hops, with either DO or bottled water. Although the water where I live is so hard its more suited to stouts.

Most of the equipment over here is of a DIY nature and fabricated in the shed.

Cheers

Barneey

Welcome aboard, Barneey! I don't know why, but I've always like that term "across the pond"... I would imagine that you have a plethora of UK hops such as Goldings and Fuggles (and others of course)...but how readily available are the hardcore NW American hops such as Simcoe and the multitude of C-hops? Which UK hops do you find yourself using most often for Pale Ales and IPAs?

Cheers,

For pale ales normally use a combo of Target and Fuggle or similar freely available English Hops. For APA`s I like the combo of Amarillo + Citra with either a Magnum (german) or a Galaxy (Aussie) for bittering.

The majority of hops freely available over here are of the whole hops type, I dont tend to use pellets much. The availability of some US hops can be a bit hit or miss sometimes and they tend to be on the expensive side Amarillo being £5.00 per 100gram :(

As for living in the UK, its easy to get to France if required via the Tunnel (only takes me 2 hours door to door) & Belgium isnt that much further, but then again you have the "good olde English Pub", just find one that doesnt have the word "gastro" in the name ;) .

The homebrew scene has taken off again over here, but would imagine the techniques use etc are fairly universal across the world.

One thing really annoying is buying anything like a stainless conical or tri clover fittings, I`ve just had to import a load from the US (cheaper to import and pay the tax than to buy over here). But for insulated stock pots they are very easy to find, so swing & roundabouts.

Brewing software I use BS2 for the majority of my needs, water being DO or bottled, if using tapwater I treat with acid to get the level down.

Regards

Barnney

Back