Hello from Sierra Vista, Arizona

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weldon0405

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am Weldon and am currently stationed in southern AZ with the Army. I started brewing a couple months ago and will be brewing my fourth batch this weekend. Thus far I have found this site extremely helpful in my endeavors.

I was stationed there in the early 80's- I'm sure it's changed greatly since it was a tiny backwater town back then. It did have a tattoo parlor, though, and I can prove it.

Welcome to the forum!

All, thank you very much for the warm welcome!

@MaxStout I am stationed at Huachuca, or Fort We-Gotcha, as some refer to it now.

@Yooper I’m sure Sierra Vista has changed some since you’ve been here, but not too terribly much. Sometimes it seems like the land that time forgot. They definitely still have tattoo parlors too! But not much else over the basic chain restaurants you would expect almost anywhere.

@ncbrewer We spent nine years at Fort Bragg, NC until the Army moved us to the desert about a year ago. We would go back in a heartbeat if offered the opportunity.

I LOVED Ft Huachuca! Of course, I hate being cold and that was a big part of the reason I loved it. Horseback riding in the mountains, hiking on the edges of the desert, visiting the national forest covered with saguro cacti- it suited me well. Until they had a huge wildfire not far away, and put us in helicopters and had us jump out to fight the fire. It was hot without being in the fire- it was hotter than I could ever imagine suited up and firefighting. They sent me from there to Germany. That was cold much of the time, but a very welcome change!

Welcome. While you are stationed there, do yourself a favor and take a drive to Tucson. Take advantage of some of the best Mexican food in the WORLD! There are quite a few great restaurants. Wont be hard to find a good spot. The Mexican food there is different than what most people are used to.
I may be starting a war here, but I think it's much better than New Mexico cooking.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/introducing-americas-first-capital-gastronomy-180957793/

Huachuca was one of the half-dozen or so places the Army could have sent me for my MOS (I was M.I. in the '80s). They sent me to Wiesbaden, Germany instead. Wouldn't have minded going to AZ. Yeah, it's in the sticks, but only a short drive to Tucson, and Phoenix is just a few hours away.

@AzOr Thanks for the link! We head up to Tucson at least twice per month to get some good eats. We don’t usually hit up the Mexican joints when there since that is one of the few food genres Sierra Vista has with good choices, but I will look for some good choices up there too. I’m also a fan of some of the eateries in Bisbee. Great choices for such a small town.

@MaxStout As a career MI Trooper, I’ve had the pleasure of coming through Huachuca six times now, but this is the first go around as permanent party instead of as a student. Tried to go overseas to Europe this time around, but the Army just didn’t have it in the cards for me.

@Yooper The weather here has always been favorite thing about this area. It is hard to beat. Oh, and the sunrises and sunsets are outstanding as well!

Thanks again for such a warm welcome everyone!

Back