Hello from salt lake city...jack mormon here.u

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

downhill_biker

Reaction score
My name is curtis and I have decided to start home brewing. I enjoy seasonal beers and micro brews so figured this would be a good fit. I'm 24 years old. I am into coral and saltwater aquariums, current tank is around 350 gallons. I also enjoy paintball and play on a sponsored team here in salt lake. I also really enjoy down hill and free ride mountain biking.

I have a couple off questions:

1. I want to make sure when I do a batch I make it worth my while. How much volume should I do? How many 12oz. bottles do I need?
2. What do I need to start brewing as far as equipment and what is the most cost effective way to do this?
3. What do I need as far as ingredients and where can I research recipes?

Thank you. Look forward to this hobby.

Hello, I am a new here as well, and not very experienced either. I have done three batches of extract beer and i am currently making a mead and a cider.
I use the kits that they sell at my LHBS (Local Home Brew Shop). These kits are very easy, they make 5 gallon batches (a little over 50 12 oz bottles).
I bought the basic beginner equipment kit at the LHBS and it has served me well, although it was about $120. The kit includes everything i have needed for my beer,cider, and mead. I know that if you don't mind shopping around you can buy everything you will need for about $45 dollars.
Have you decided whether you are going to be doing extract,partial, or all-grain? A lot of people start with extract and move up from there. I do extract kits so i do not know much about recipes, i buy the kits and follow their directions and use their ingredients but i will add a few personal touches here and there.
I recommend buying Charlie Papazians book "The Complete Joy of Home Brewing" it will answer a lot of questions and guide you through your first batch.

Great info thanks for the response. I will definitely get that book since I know nothing. When you say extract partial or all grain I don't quite understand. I am just starting to do the learning phase. I have some stuff like large stainless steel pots and clean 5 gallon buckets. I will look on the beginner forum and see what else I might need. I don't mind searching to save money since I'm unemployed and have more time than money...lol.

shoot me a pm I will gladley help out and I can hook you up wit bottles also I have to many and I keg now.
Steve

I also tonight I would add that I went to the local brew supply shop and picked up a kit. 2x 6.5 gal buckets. Lots of sanitizer. Hoses. Valves. Breathers. Siphons. And my first brew...oktoberfest. I'll stay it this weekend.

Jimminy Christmas a mormon making beer! Shoot if the Baptists see this they're going to want in as well. Ha ha I crack me up!
Welcome to HBT and welcome to brewing.:mug:

Well, I am not really an active mormon. I was just raised LDS. I left the church when I left the house, at 18, but really didn't believe in everything they were preaching starting at 16.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Looking forward to this. I knew that finding a forum would be an unbelievable source when I had a question...since I belong to about 5 forums for saltwater and am in the presidency of our local club...

Here's some eye candy for ya. These are all my personal corals taken by me with my underwater camera.

Scolly003.jpg

SanDiego2063.jpg

SanDiego2041.jpg

fts010.jpg

corals041.jpg

I have plenty more where that came from....lol.

Nice shots i had a 125 gallon one a few years ago i will have another once i am settled in a few years again

I'm two-year SL-UT resident. Sometimes living here is like moving to the moon.

Just to give you a heads up if you haven't found out yet. The Nut is a decent LHBS, but can be a little pricey sometimes. Art's is slightly cheaper, and certainly doesn't mind giving out copious amounts of advice.
If you're in a hurry, don't bother with Arts!

For books I really liked "Radical Brewing" by Randy Mosher and "How to Brew" by John Palmer. The first edition of Palmer's book is actually free online at howtobrew.com.

I just found out about some open source software at this forum called Brewtarget. I haven't used it, but it looks good for helping you formulate your brew.

Back