Hello from Portland, OR

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greels

Reaction score
My name is Curt, and I have been using this forum for over a year but just recently joined.

I actually live in Hillsboro (west suburb of Portland), and I am originally from Iowa and went to school in Minnesota (Minnesota State Mankato).

Love this site.

Welcome. I've been to Hillsboro many times, my old college roommate lived there (before recently moving to Beaverton) and my brother-in-law's sister lives there also. It's a nice place, but too much rain and waaaaaaay too much traffic!

Welcome. My youngest son lives in Hillsboro. I always ask him to pick up my orders from Brew Bothers when he is coming to visit.

Traffic does get pretty bad at times. Portland metro was not built for the population that it has reached. That's why I take the public transportation all the time :D

Brew Brothers rocks!! They are the place I first went when I got interested in brewing and haven't been anywhere since. They not only are very nice, friendly, cool people, but they have the best prices on EVERYTHING! And now they will be selling their own beer soon. Can't wait!

Hey! I live in Portland, am originally from Iowa and have lived in Minnesota!

Even though I am in downtown, I usually go to Brew Brothers as well. They do have the best prices on everything. There is also Mainbrew, which isn't far from Brew Brothers. Mainbrew also has a bottleshop and always has 5 or 6 beers on tap for growler fills.

They not only are very nice, friendly, cool people, but they have the best prices on EVERYTHING!

They have the best price on almost everything. You can get pounds of certain leaf hops (Cascades, Centennials, US Goldings, Mt. Hood, Liberty, Nugget, Magnum, and maybe one or two others) cheaper from Northwest Hops in Donald, Oregon, just south of Wilsonville. Most of their hops are $12-$14 per pound. They also have a deal where you can get a 50 lb. sack of 2-row, two pounds of hops (of the varieties they have on hand) and choice of yeast (of those in stock) for $60. The 2-row is a few bucks more than if you bought a sack from Brew Brothers, but the hop prices more than make up for the difference. For all other ingredients, not to mention a huge selection, Brew Brothers is the place to go.

Hey! I live in Portland, am originally from Iowa and have lived in Minnesota!

Even though I am in downtown, I usually go to Brew Brothers as well. They do have the best prices on everything. There is also Mainbrew, which isn't far from Brew Brothers. Mainbrew also has a bottleshop and always has 5 or 6 beers on tap for growler fills.

Where from in Iowa?? Haven't made it over to Mainbrew yet, but I may have to check it out.

They have the best price on almost everything. You can get pounds of certain leaf hops (Cascades, Centennials, US Goldings, Mt. Hood, Liberty, Nugget, Magnum, and maybe one or two others) cheaper from Northwest Hops in Donald, Oregon, just south of Wilsonville. Most of their hops are $12-$14 per pound. They also have a deal where you can get a 50 lb. sack of 2-row, two pounds of hops (of the varieties they have on hand) and choice of yeast (of those in stock) for $60. The 2-row is a few bucks more than if you bought a sack from Brew Brothers, but the hop prices more than make up for the difference. For all other ingredients, not to mention a huge selection, Brew Brothers is the place to go.

That package deal does sound like a great price. I don't quite have the storage to buy in bulk, but that's why Brew Brother's "virtual bag" is such a great idea. I will probably be moving back to the Midwest after school, and it will be tough to not have all these great LHBS around.

Where from in Iowa?? Haven't made it over to Mainbrew yet, but I may have to check it out.

Grew up in Des Moines, graduated from U of I and lived in Iowa City for about 10 years before moving out here in 2002. How about you?

There is a great HBS in Decorah. A bit out of the way up there, but you can always order online. I ordered my last batch of hops from them. It is called From Grain to Glass and they have a presence on this forum.

Grew up in Des Moines, graduated from U of I and lived in Iowa City for about 10 years before moving out here in 2002. How about you?

There is a great HBS in Decorah. A bit out of the way up there, but you can always order online. I ordered my last batch of hops from them. It is called From Grain to Glass and they have a presence on this forum.

I have definitely seen their name pop up a couple times on here. I'll have to check them out.

Well, you probably did a lot of traveling right through my hometown then... I'm from Newton!

Welcome! I live in Hillsboro and work in Beaverton.
I gotta ditto what people are saying about Brew Brothers. A truly family run operation. I've only been in this hobby for a couple years and these guys really have helped me a ton.
Here is their website that includes online ordering, even for local pickup. I usually get my recipe together during the week then place the order on Wed or Thur so it is ready for Thurs pickup on the way home from work. That way I avoid the inevitable Fri-Sat crowds and can spend some time asking them questions, trying Chris' latest brew, or playing fetch with the dog.

Welcome! I live in Forest Grove and work In Hillsboro. I havent tried brew brothers. Seems every time Im in the area theyre closed. I get most of my supplies from MainBrew.

Welcome! I live in Forest Grove and work In Hillsboro. I havent tried brew brothers. Seems every time Im in the area theyre closed. I get most of my supplies from MainBrew.

If you're traveling over to Mainbrew, do yourself a favor and go another mile and visit BrewBrothers. Their difference in prices from Mainbrew will be worth it. And they are now open seven days a week with most nights being til seven o' clock I believe.

Btw, I also go to school over in Forest Grove. Pacific University College of Optometry

I also like Mainbrew for their beer selection and the store is cleaner or more organized, but Brew Brothers are open more hours and have lower prices and as long as you're there when they're not slammed (Fri night or Saturday) they will be as engaging as an old friend, even for first timers.
Greels, good job picking a great school!

Welcome to the board, I live in the Des Moines Metro Area right now in Norwalk. I've been to the Portland/Beaverton area and I thought it was a cool place. Definately more traffic than Des Moines, but it was still a cool experience from a brewers standpoint and all the micro breweries up there.

Welcome to the board, I live in the Des Moines Metro Area right now in Norwalk. I've been to the Portland/Beaverton area and I thought it was a cool place. Definately more traffic than Des Moines, but it was still a cool experience from a brewers standpoint and all the micro breweries up there.
My brother just moved to Des Moines. Says he already misses the archery elk hunting but otherwise is enjoying the area and the people.

Hey, welcome! I grew up just up the road in Banks. Always nice to see the locals come out of the woodwork. Now would someone explain to me how I've never found Brew Bothers before?!

JasontheBeaver said:
On Cornelius Pass and Aloclek/Waldbridge in a business park. Check 'em out!
They're opening their own small brewery tasting room in the next couple months too.

I will stop in this week and check it out. Thanks!

On Cornelius Pass and Aloclek/Waldbridge in a business park. Check 'em out!
They're opening their own small brewery tasting room in the next couple months too.
Yeah, I just figured that out thanks to this thread. Weird thing, there are three businesses (or were--two have since moved out) in that park that I used to frequent rather often.

Oh well! I'll keep that in mind next time I'm home.

Cheers!

My brother just moved to Des Moines. Says he already misses the archery elk hunting but otherwise is enjoying the area and the people.

The city is definitely getting better and the brewing is growing in this area. Downtown has really grown as a place for younger people to hang out. I give them credit for changing the face of Des Moines, but it's not quite there yet.

The city is definitely getting better and the brewing is growing in this area. Downtown has really grown as a place for younger people to hang out. I give them credit for changing the face of Des Moines, but it's not quite there yet.

I always hit up Court Avenue when I'm back visiting.

Back