Hello from Olympia, WA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirthomas42

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been lurking on HBT for a couple months, and I've finally felt compelled to post and say hi. I got to taste my very first batch last night, Edwort's Apfelwein. It's barely out ofthe carboy, but holy smokes is it delicious. I can't wait for it to age a little. :)

I got into winemaking (sorry, but I can't stand beer) a couple months ago, after my Grandmother passed away. While cleaning her house, we found two bottles of my Grampa's homemade wine. Mind you, he passed away in 1987. I had long thought all his wine long gone. I grew up hearing about how tasty his wine was, but never thought I'd get to have some. We found a bottle of 1968 'Italian Prune and Strawberry' and a 1971 "Sugar Plum". Having been stored upright all these years I didn't think they'd still be drinkable. The corks disintegrated when we tried to open them. However, not only was the wine drinkable, it was unearthly good. And potent too. Those two bottles got 7 members of my wasted.

So now I'm making wine, hoping to someday equal my Grampa's awesomeness. Thanks for posting all your recipes, tips, tricks, hints and advice everyone!

Greetings and welcome to the obsession. I've made about 12 gallons of wine myself but was with the kits. Not sure I have the time or energy to get in to it like my brewing. But I digress. Again, welcome!

Back