Hello from Ohio!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighoss

Reaction score
Hello from lower northeast Ohio. I've recently been reading a lot of information on home brewing. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about brewing at home before I attempt it. I want my first batch to taste as good as I can get it. I think I'll be attempting my first batch around tax time. Pay off all the bills, and purchase all the equipment and ingredients I need to start my new hobby. So I'm definitely glad I was able to find this forum. It will help me greatly along the way. Hopefully I won't have too many questions. :D

Welcome. Any particular beer styles you are interested in? This is a great place to pick up some tricks of the trade. Hope you find this site useful.

Well I don't know for sure what beer style I'm interested in. I think at first I'd maybe like to try making an lager. Mostly because I've drank lagers since I've been able to drink, and I kinda know how they should taste. Any suggestions from experienced brewers would be greatly appreciated. Although I think I may just try a liquid malt extract kit at first. From what I've read they are the best thing for a beginning brewer.

Welcome aboard.
Lagers are more advanced and require more equipment. They are generally not recommended for a first brew. Ales are recommended to begin with. They are more forgiving and easier to control.

Ah ok. I thought that's what I had read, but I figured eh what the heck. I had found a kit that came with a lager. I believe it was Coopers maybe. Anyway thanks, and I'll remember that.

Welcome from Mansfield, bighoss.

the coopers kit may be labeled lager but actually contains ale yeast. Let us know the yeast included in the kit.

Anyhoo, welcome to the obsession. :cheers:

Thanks for the welcomes from fellow Ohioans, and others. I will definitely let you know what yeast is included if that is the kit I buy.

Welcome! :mug: I am from Massillon. You will be glad you found this site. Very helpful people and a ton of information here.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Will do NBG. Hey since your from Massillon I've got a question for you. Is the shop The Grape and Granary any good?

Will do NBG. Hey since your from Massillon I've got a question for you. Is the shop The Grape and Granary any good?

Honestly never been there. I either goto Abruzzos Beer and Wine (It is in Kent) or I order online.

Little off topic but I see your in Newcomerstown, I sometimes camp down there at Lake Lila.

Hoss - GG is great. Good selection and good people. The classes are worth attending as well. Even though they can't serve samples anymore:mad:

That's cool NBG, I live a couple miles from Lake Lila. Fritz thanks for the info. Figured that would be the closest store for me. Wish I'd have the time to attend a class.

Hi new to the forum but not brewing. When I first started brewing I went to the Grape and Granary, I never really found them that helpful. Knowledgeable yes, but they made me feel like I was imposing on them to ask. Now that was in 1997 or 98 so they could have changed staff, I know they moved. And maybe it was just me, who knows.

I go to Abruzzos, great people, good prices. oh and it's 10 min from my house. not a difficult choice for me.

Hi new to the forum but not brewing. When I first started brewing I went to the Grape and Granary, I never really found them that helpful. Knowledgeable yes, but they made me feel like I was imposing on them to ask. Now that was in 1997 or 98 so they could have changed staff, I know they moved. And maybe it was just me, who knows.

I go to Abruzzos, great people, good prices. oh and it's 10 min from my house. not a difficult choice for me.

Emmett - Welcome to HBT. I would agree that some staff are more helpful than others. John, the owner, has always been very helpful. What I like best? They always seem to have everything I want in stock. I've never been to Abruzzo's, so I cannot compare the two.

HBT is always my 1st stop for information and help, so that is not #1 on my list for judging an LHBS.

Weclome again. You will love this site.

Thanks, and yeah I've noticed that too. Wish I lived closer to most. Would be cool to join a brewing club.

Welcome hoss, Garfield Heights member here. I've been to Abruzzo's a bit, it's on my way home from work. But I mostly get my grains and such from Leener's in Northfield. Good Luck, this is definitely the place to be for brewing knowledge!

Back