Hello from NS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALAN C

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi , Have been reading your forum for some time now . Always drooling at the recipes you guys make and wishing I had the space to do what you do . I can only make kits now . I used to make lots of wine when I had more room now I am limited . I love all the gear you guys invent . Keep up the good work .

Welcome to the community from Alabama. Careful you on the edge of a slippery slope into the rabbit hole of homebrewing for which there is no return. But this hobby has many rewards in the way of being able to make delicious beverages and sharing them with others and the satisfaction that you made it. Go ahead jump in, soon you will find yourself finding ways to attain the knowledge and resources to achieve your goals.

Cheers and brew on.

Welcome from Ohio. Brewing space can be problematic. Fortunately there are several work arounds. Several years ago after retirement my wife and I decided to downsize. I sacrificed my brewery space. Eventually I returned to brewing. First using BIAB system then went to e-brewing. You can put everything you really NEED in a small closet. Takes a fraction of the space as my old three tier system. You can make a very drinkable beer using BIAB. Can I make a 15 gallon batch? No! But I can make a 5 gallon batch and it lasts me about as long as a larger batch did some years ago.

Hi , Have been reading your forum for some time now . Always drooling at the recipes you guys make and wishing I had the space to do what you do . I can only make kits now . I used to make lots of wine when I had more room now I am limited . I love all the gear you guys invent . Keep up the good work .
Welcome to the forum form NY. Yes space is sometimes something to workaround, but one can brew without a big garage or basement. I BIAB on my kitchen stove, usually 2.5 to 3 gallons at a time, but when I brew for a club event or my backyard Oktoberfest it’s a 5 gallon yield. Just for the record you can make more than just drinkable beer that way, you can make beer cider and mead that wins in competitions that way.

Hoppy, I agree just trying not to brag. I think some of my brews today are much more than “drinkable”. Technology has improved. Temperature control is better and “Tilts” rock. Hard for me to tell though, as you age your palate becomes less discriminating.

Cool! I try to limit my bragging to the humble sort. Of course not everyone cares about winning and really it’s about good tasting beer, however a person defines that. Award winning beer can come from extract as well. My first attempts with extract for making light colored beers were disappointing and moved me toward AG, but now with more experience, I’ll do extract once in a while as a time saver.

I’ve brewed a lot of extracts in the past. Lately I have gone to low ABV brews. All grain brewing lets me determine to a degree the percentage of fermentable sugars. It’s sometimes difficult for me to make a full flavored low ABV beer. Got a Saison and a Kolsch going into the keg(s) tomorrow that I have high hopes for.

Back