Hello from Nova Scotia Canada!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NScooknet

Reaction score
Hi all,
I was referred here by a Canadian supplier who has also been giving me some advice, I am brand new to brewing beer, and have just bottled my very 1st batch of India Pale Ale.

I used "The Brew House" brand IPA liquid wort kit, and have only thus far a meager beginners brewing equipment kit consisting of the plastic primary fermenter, glass carboy secondary, and the usual basic equipment that comes with it.

I REALLY hope it actually turns out, and I've been totally sanitizing everything with Iodophore after cleaning it with a TSP solution.

Today's bottling was a real chore that's for sure, I'm struggling with the capping process, and have been having some trouble with the bottle capper.

I first used the bench type, but I had to push SO hard on the lever before the cap popped into place, I thought the bottle might explode under the pressure, then the bottle was stuck in the capper and had to be pulled out, there was definitely something wrong there.

I thought it was my capper, and took it back to the store where I bought it, but they were ALL like that, ( I also brought bottles and caps for the guy to try it himself, he couldn't make it work either) so then, the store guy said it might be the new caps they just got in. Unfortunately, there is nowhere else local to buy any other caps to try.

I am using twist off caps, but also the exact same thing happens with the pry off ones, so I bought a little red hand type and it seems to work much better, although I did break 2 bottle necks off at the end when capping today, which means 2 less beer to drink later, down the drain they went.

Bummer.

I don't know if it was the crappy twist off bottles or the caps or the capper that contributed to the breaks, does that happen often??

So, I guess I should order some caps online from a different source and see if that is better, I sure hope so, cause it sucks with these ones.

The caps have a tiny buckle in the top of them, like a kind of dent almost, which alarms me a bit, so I turned the bottle a half turn and gently recapped with the capper to hopefully even it out, is that a normal thing to see with these caps?

I'm paranoid they wont seal good.

I've gotten mixed feedback about whether to even use twist off bottles, but I was assured at the store where I bought my brewing gear that they were ok to use, so I did, but I also used the bottles from the mirco craft brewed beers I'd bought individually here and there, but there were only 11 of those larger bottles.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Take care!!

Chris ;)

Hey man, good to see someone from Nova Scotia! While I'm not a native nova scotian my self (grew up in toronto), I've lived in Halifax for the past few years, and love it out here.

Twist off bottles are totally fine. The reason people around here tend to dislike them is because of a difference between canadian and american bottles. American twist-off bottles are VERY thin and flimsy, and break really easily. Canadian bottles are much sturdier. I use mostly twist off bottles (keiths, sleeman's, garrison), and have broken maybe 3 or 4 bottles ever. So no issue there.

Other than that, welcome! you'll find EVERYTHING you could ever need here, so never be afraid or embarrassed to ask a question. Though I'd recommend trying the search function before you post, as just about every question you'll have will have been covered!

:mug:

Hey man, good to see someone from Nova Scotia! While I'm not a native nova scotian my self (grew up in toronto), I've lived in Halifax for the past few years, and love it out here.

Twist off bottles are totally fine. The reason people around here tend to dislike them is because of a difference between canadian and american bottles. American twist-off bottles are VERY thin and flimsy, and break really easily. Canadian bottles are much sturdier. I use mostly twist off bottles (keiths, sleeman's, garrison), and have broken maybe 3 or 4 bottles ever. So no issue there.

Other than that, welcome! you'll find EVERYTHING you could ever need here, so never be afraid or embarrassed to ask a question. Though I'd recommend trying the search function before you post, as just about every question you'll have will have been covered!

:mug:

Thanks Mike!

I planned on brewing my own beer many years ago (I'm 44 now) but life seems to have had other plans for me...lol.

I spent many years living on Vancouver island BC, but have been back home where I belong here in Nova Scotia for about 6 years of so now, man time flies!

I grew up in Halifax, and lived just down the way from Oland's Brewery, and one of my fondest memories is that awesome brew steam smell coming up through the sewers in winter time from all their runoff, I love the smell of beer brewing! (beats smelling the sewer instead...LOL)

The good thing about living out west (about the ONLY good thing that is) is that I have been exposed to many many micro craft brewed beers, there is FAR more selection of them out west than there is here, and also, I frequented the beer shows, so I have a pretty good idea of what good beer "should" taste like, and of course what I like best, which are hoppy IPA's.

Now, I live in the Annapolis Valley, and have finally started to brew my own beer. Mostly because of the poor quality of the local beer lately, had a few bad cases here and there, but also, because it's so darn expensive, plus, who knows what kinda crap they put in their commercially made beer these days!

Glad to hear that twist off's aren't an issue, I've got Oland's export ale and Keith's bottles, and the non-twist off ones are Propeller bottles and a couple Garrison ones, which actually was the easiest one of all to cap.

I've GOT to have crappy caps, if the bottles are fine, and the cappers all act the same, the only thing left is the caps, gotta buy some new ones somewhere.

If you've only ever broken a few in all, then there is no reason for me to break the neck off 2 of them my 1st time!

Thanks again for the advice, been reading a crap load of info here!
Take care!

Chris ;)

Back