Hello from North Alabama

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhughe13

Reaction score
I'm glad to be in such a large group of good folks here. My homebrewing has been regular over the past 10 years and I still get my share of bad batches. But enjoy them all, good and bad. It's all worth it.

Welcome from another N. Alabama brewer

I can see that you are my sourceof info for making fat tire. What an awesome brew. I got my BIL turned onto it while out in Colorado. Then when I would fly home, I would stuff a case in my luggage for us to drink.

I'm just a little south of you in Marshall County. Albertville.

What's the Home brew store in Huntsville? There use to be a pearly gates, but it was gone the last time I drove through. Has it moved or shut down?

I usually get extra supplies when I'm in Cullman at Werners.

Pearly gates is around off the parkway and Tom Hargrove sales does limited hours stuff, but mainly internet with in store pickup

also, if you want to do fat tire I will give you some of the FT yeast, it will probably go bad before I get to it

Pearly gates is around off the parkway and Tom Hargrove sales does limited hours stuff, but mainly internet with in store pickup

It use to be in the Old Service Merchandise Mall area next to Mock. Maybe I just thought it was closed. I'll see what's up next time I'm in Huntsville.

My yeast is old and I need some new.

also, if you want to do fat tire I will give you some of the FT yeast, it will probably go bad before I get to it

Fat Tire will probably be down the road for me. I saw some of the ingredients and I'm still in the pre-amateur phase. I do crack my own malts from time to time, and add hops, but that's about it.

FT is a fairly easy brew to do as an extract with specialty grains. I would recommend the Austinhomebrew kit and then grab the New Belgium yeast, either from me or from a store selling it. It makes for a pretty good beer.

In the near future though you will probably migrate away from it. I will take some of my other recipes over Fat Tire any day now. I will probably still make it now and again for friends at work though that love it and can't get it.

FT is a fairly easy brew to do as an extract with specialty grains. I would recommend the Austinhomebrew kit and then grab the New Belgium yeast, either from me or from a store selling it. It makes for a pretty good beer.

In the near future though you will probably migrate away from it. I will take some of my other recipes over Fat Tire any day now. I will probably still make it now and again for friends at work though that love it and can't get it.

Great thanks for the info. I found Austinhomebrew online and signed up. Looks like they are having a big sale starting tomorrow. Might be a good time to grab one of those FT kits.

Is your New Belgium yeast a dry yeast or do you keep some hydrated in your fridge? I would definately like to take you up on the yeast offer though.

You'll have to excuse some of my techno jargon. I've just been making beers and not being a good little beer student over the past few years. :)

Hello from Birmingham! I fished Gville just last month. Coulda used a homebrew or 10 for that tournament......

Good Luck!

Hello Aubie Stout. Looks like I'm surrounded by homebrewers here. I hope I can get to the point where I have several kegs on tap to offer fellow homebrewers traveling. I'm about 5 miles from Lake Guntersville, back in the countryside. Let me know next time and I'll hope to have the tap running.

I'm still working on my smoke room. It will be a room on back of the house with my kegerator and all the guys can have beers and smoke cigars. I hope to have it done in a month or so. Still trying to get the paneling up.

I have been over anxious about getting the kegerator out there and get a couple of brews in it. Since I joined yesterday, I at least got motivated enough to start a Muntons nut brown ale. It was boiling over into the sink last night.

Time is on my hands now.

I let a friend borrow my grain cracker to crack some corn for his chickens. His wife ran over it and I've been searching for another, or trying to figure out what's best to replace my old one. That's acutally how I found this website.

My broken one is a spinx and looks like the popular corona mill. I hope to grab one off ebay soon and get back to better brewing.

My next mill will never leave the house.

I have some that I washed and put in jars from the last time I made it. I will make up a starter before you brew to make sure its still good. It was an iffy wash (the water smelled kind of metallic)

Latest posts

Back