Hello From Minnesota!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syvmn

Reaction score
I've been chatting over at Northern Brewer for a while now and figured I'd better expand my base for information. Great to join you guys.

A bit about me

Im 23 years old, been brewing for a bit over a year new. Have about 15 brews under my belt, 14 of them all-grain. Ive decided to start making my trademark wheat, so I usually add at least 2lbs to each brew, I really enjoy the mouth feel it adds. I'm very cheap so all of my equipment is budget (Wortchiller is a trash can with a hole cut out 1/2 way up). I recently started kegging and have loved it. I really enjoy homebrewing.

So, HELLO!

You're not Geronimo, are you? (Northern Brewer, Minnesota) Man, that guy's avatars are mesmerizing. I never thought I could fall in love with a picture...

Anyway, welcome aboard. (and if you are Geronimo, you better put up your avatar!)

Välkomnande! Tervetuloa! Velkommen! Willkommen!

If you grew up in Minnesota, it is very likely I just touched on at least one of your ancestors' native languages. Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian and German right there. #2 sinks my battleship, how about you?

Welcome! 1 brew before you went all-grain, huh? Awesome!

And I'd love to see pics of your trash can wort chiller! :)

Welcome to the "good" forum... ;)

We like pictures. We like to hear about brew days. We like to hear about mishaps and successes. We like recipes...all recipes...

Post early, post often.

Let me look around and see if I have any pics of my chiller. No joke, I get from 212-75 or so in about 15-20 minutes with it, the trick is stirring the wort one way in the kettle, and running the water in the opposite direction. At least my very non-scientific experience has suggested such. Sorry if these pictures dont work, this is my first time trying to post them here.

This is one time I attempted to use my trashcan chiller in combination with dry ice directly into the wort. It was hilarious and fun. Beer did have an "odd" taste though...
4-1.jpg

I cant seem to find any other pictures of using the chiller. That time above was the first time I used it. The holes in the can were too small, but once i got the water flowing through it nicely after about 2-3 brews my chilling times went down to 15-20 minutes. All this at a total cost of about $0. We weren't using that trash can anyway.

Heres another pic of me brewing
1-1.jpg

Im also into photography, this is me at my cabin north of Nashwauk, MN
1-3.jpg

Recent solo trip to the BWCA, thats Canada in the distance, I stole a rock in my canoe and brought it back to the "good side" (no offense to any canooks)
anexationcomplete.jpg

Anyway, hope you enjoyed and hopefully those pictures actually worked and I didnt overload anything...if so....oops

edit: guess I can only post 4 pics....oh well

menschmaschine said:
You're not Geronimo, are you? (Northern Brewer, Minnesota) Man, that guy's avatars are mesmerizing. I never thought I could fall in love with a picture...

Anyway, welcome aboard. (and if you are Geronimo, you better put up your avatar!)

Gotta love them blondes, eh?;)

Uff da! I love Minnesota don'tcha know. I head up to Lake of the Woods every January for some hard water fishing. Ya, You betcha!

eelpout.jpg

This is one big assed Eelpout. Tastes like lobster.

Yup, gotta love ice fishing. Heres one of me fishing by candlelight on O'leary Lake (doubt you'd be able to find that!).

2-3.jpg

syvmn said:
Yup, gotta love ice fishing. Heres one of me fishing by candlelight on O'leary Lake (doubt you'd be able to find that!).

2-3.jpg

Ice fishing rocks! We keep beer in the cooler to keep it from freezing. :cross:

Nice eelpout EdWort! I caught my first one a couple of years ago on either Lake of the Woods or Red Lake. I don't think we bothered to clean it after all the bottle bass we caught...

Thanks. This one was around 7 lbs. I always catch 1 or 2 every year up there. This year we pulled the backstraps and cooked em up for the first time in the 6 years I've been fishing.

Just like lobster, but an ugly fish. No lip lock for me. The sucker will wrap its slimy self around my arm quicker than Dallas.

EdWort said:
Uff da! I love Minnesota don'tcha know. I head up to Lake of the Woods every January for some hard water fishing. Ya, You betcha!

eelpout.jpg

This is one big assed Eelpout. Tastes like lobster.

I can smell the sweet stink of fish from here.

Ohhh. And that thing you're holding onto looks like it doesn't smell so geod either. :D

Back