Hello From Iowa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AirLock Sniffer

Reaction score
Hey everybody, have been lurking here absorbing the forum information for some time now. As anyone scouring the intertubes using a search engine knows, Homebrew Talk pops up frequently so thought I'd join and be able to continue the discussion.

I really enjoy and appreciate the archived internet discussion format and being able to attain certain knowledge about all kinds of varied topics from electronics, auto repair, DIY, home maintenance and hobbies of all kinds. Knowing what not to do, situations to avoid, is usually just as important as knowing the basic procedures.

Brewing beer of course, seems to be no exception! I've only a few DME batches under my belt but they turned out fantastic, so I owe a big thanks already to the contributors here.

Thanks guys. Cedar Falls, where surprisingly there aren't really any dedicated brew shops, for a college town. Wine, yes. There is however a local hop grower I need to check out. Looks like the closest HBS is in Marion, near Cedar Rapids.

I bought quite a lot of Briess wheat malt so I'm probably going to churn through that for a while. Also interested in maybe making some wine on general principles, and cider, or apfelwein. I like the idea generally of always keeping something going in the fermenter. Cheers!

I hear ya of nothing local. 70-80 miles for me. Northern Brewer is my LHBS (LOL). It kind of surprises me a little on that, I guess that there's too many Busch light drinkers in the state to support many HB shops. I'm not sure DSM even has any, if they do I am not aware of them.
Don't be afraid to ask any "Q's" here, right or wrong, you'll get an answer ! :rolleyes:
Cheers. :mug:
Joel B.

Thanks guys. Cedar Falls, where surprisingly there aren't really any dedicated brew shops, for a college town. Wine, yes. There is however a local hop grower I need to check out. Looks like the closest HBS is in Marion, near Cedar Rapids.

I bought quite a lot of Briess wheat malt so I'm probably going to churn through that for a while. Also interested in maybe making some wine on general principles, and cider, or apfelwein. I like the idea generally of always keeping something going in the fermenter. Cheers!

Cool. For supplies, both Northern Brewer (Twin Cities) and Farmhouse Brewing Supply (Janesville, WI) are close enough that shipping should be fast and inexpensive. I wonder if there is a homebrew club in Cedar Falls/Waterloo?

Good question, if there is I haven't really heard about it. I was told talking on the phone to a local hop grower that the local craft breweries/pubs are very supportive of homebrewers. I didn't ask what that means exactly. Maybe supplying house strains of our yeastie friends, things like that? Not sure.

I ordered 50 pounds of Briess and Muntons wheat DME and all the fixins, accoutrements & gee gaws necessary a while back to make Hefes. I need to plow through all that DME, the only immediate show stopper would be bottle caps, that will be a while yet. Kegging and CO2 is a bit more involved than I'd like to get, though have to admit my pipeline is getting filled rapidly. This is such a fun and interesting hobby, wish I'd started sooner. Have to work around temperatures, it's a steady 62 F in the laundry room, 42 F in the garage, 75 F under the kitchen sink, 66 F elsewhere, so this is a good time of year to brew. Want to get plussed up now because it may be a little on the warm side by summer. Have an unused mini - fridge that can get pressed into service I think, have to look at it closer.

After 6+ years of homebrewing I made my first Wine this last year. It's really awesome wine.

Yes, I really want to do that. I'm not a huge wine fan, but I like a glass now and then, and just on general principles it should be available in just about any household when the mood strikes, even if just for guests. Considerate host and all, natch.

I find the fermentation process quite interesting, lots of moving parts and processes. Also some overlap with baking bread in some ways? Long cool preferments makes better dough for some breads. I've been eyeballing the glassware around the house in a different light. "Hey, that 2 gal. glass jug would make a good small batch fermenter, and that goofy looking green glass carafe mom and dad brought back from Bermuda in '67 could be used for yeast harvesting ..."

Back