Hello from Hickory

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6_String_Jams

Reaction score
This is actually my 2nd post here. My first one was in the North Carolina specific subforum. My name is Jordan, I live in Hickory NC and i've just recently brewed my first batch of beer after receiving a home brew kit for my birthday. I hope to learn lots and lots from you folks. It's good to be here

Be well.

Cograts and welcome!! I actually live in Denver BC not to far from you.. so what did ya brew and how did it come out?

Thanks for the welcome! i actually brewed a "beginner" american pale from a kit from Asheville Brewer's supply. ( It was given to me with my home brew kit) And it's still in my fermenter, i haven't bottled it yet, mostly because i pitched the yeast before i let the wort cool, so i think i may have killed the yeast.....bubbled a little the first day, but nothing since. Which is one of the reasons i joined up on here so i could ask if i could save it :eek:

Its totally savable! What temp was it when you pitched? Did you make a starter? And what type of yeast just curious? Either way just re pitch another batch of yeast now and you should be good to go rdwhahb! Let me know what ya think.

Welcome to the group, rule #1 is that it's harder to ruin beer than one might think, especially if you're really careful with sanitation. And alway be patient, many things work themselves out with time.

Its totally savable! What temp was it when you pitched? Did you make a starter? And what type of yeast just curious? Either way just re pitch another batch of yeast now and you should be good to go rdwhahb! Let me know what ya think.

I'm unsure of the exact temp, but it had only been off the boil for just a few minutes....

This was about 2 weeks ago though, i bottled it a few days ago....i tasted it before, it seemed to taste ok? So maybe it'll be ok! The yeast i used was just a packet of dry that came in the beer kit....Another rookie mistake i made was not taking a reading with my hydrometer before i pitched the yeast....i checked it before bottling it though, and at 68 deg. F it was 1.010, i'm still trying to learn what exactly to do with this number :D Thank you guys for the welcome!

I'd say you are successful 1.010 is a good finish should still have a little residual sweetness. Since you don't have an og you won't known exactly how much alcohol is in it but you can guess based off the recipe you used. Congrats against. On the first brew cheers. So what's on deck for brew number 2?

I'd say you are successful 1.010 is a good finish should still have a little residual sweetness. Since you don't have an og you won't known exactly how much alcohol is in it but you can guess based off the recipe you used. Congrats against. On the first brew cheers. So what's on deck for brew number 2?

Thanks!

I really enjoy IPA's, so i think i'll try one of those next. Unsure of what kind or where from.....but i think that's next.

howdy! And welcome from Oxford, NC.

I would recommend Googling "how to brew". You can read an earlier version of John Palmer's book online for free, and it should make your first few batches pretty easy. The first chapter, if I remember correctly, is a crash course in your first extract batch.

good luck, and welcome to the obsession!

Back