Hello from Grand Rapids Michigan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doodlebug

Reaction score
Greetings everyone, have been absolutely *devouring* all of the excellent info on here for quite some time, what a fantastic resource and great community!

After spending too many years busting my ass on other projects (home remodel, working too many hours) I'm finally *making* time for one of my true passions. My history home brewing is limited but my knowledge of the process is pretty good. I spent some time as an assistant brewer for a craft brewer in Ann Arbor, and have worked in 3 other microbreweries. I've got a nut brown in secondary and tomorrow night will have OhioBrewtus' Edmund Fitz recipe in primary.

Currently brewing on a coleman cooler mash tun, turkey fryer setup but have rapidly begun to accrue the makings of a pretty nice single tier setup - got my first 1/2 barrel last night and am posting this in between cutoff blades wearing out on the top of it with my Dremel. Found a March 809 on CL, 4 cornies in the mail from Nicki Turner - there was a thread in the classifieds on here that put me up on that. I found that my LHBS (a great one - Siciliano's in Grand Rapids) has reconditioned cornies for $25 shortly after I paid for the shipping from Nicki but whatever.

So a lot of brewing projects going on, converting a chest freezer into a ... keezer, is that what we're calling them? I also want to use that for doing some lagers, which I'm pretty excited about. Also in the process of refinishing the basement to a proper cave suited to dispensing and consuming these beverages. Therefore you'll be seeing a lot of me, sending out questions into the void and hoping for your informative replies. I expect a fair amount of ridicule and ribbing as well, if I have you all pegged right. :cross:

OK, back to the Dremel. Slowly but surely, right?

Greetings! There are plenty of fine brewers in your area. Check out Primetime Brewers for club info. I've met a few of them and they are great guys and really know their stuff.

I do know a few of the Primetimers from coming and going @ Founders Brewing over the years - going to hook up with them in a few months when I get my bearings.

So...the top is off my keg! I'm not sure when I can call it a keggle. Maybe need a valve in there. But I'm partly there ...

One question though - I did have some small dents on the outside. Never cut into one of these before so I didn't know how much would show from the inside. They aren't big but they are there - does it matter? I'm assuming no...most sensitive probably being MT but as long as I'm a dutiful sanitizer it should work alright yeah?

Doesn't matter. The mash tun doesn't ever need to be sanitized, just clear of junk. The boil kettle is handily self-sanitizing!

Welcome to HBT. Your right about Siclianos, I stopped by last year on a trip to GR and that place is a great LHBS. Bulk grain,great prices on carboys, and all the beer can be sold in singles. They have an up and coming competition as well. Sounds like you are well on your way to a new "obsession" like the rest of us.:ban:

Back