Hello from Glen Ellyn, IL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willrich7

Reaction score
HI everyone. My name is Richard and I live in Glen Ellyn, IL about 20 miles west of downtown Chicago. I grew up in Wales and England and miss the great beer I had on offer there.

I am totally new to home brewing but am excited to get going. But I need advice on what to buy, from where etc.

Anyone with any recomendations on where to get starter kits, ingredients etc.

Thanks and hope to have some decent beer soon.

Thanks in advance for any help you give me.

Rich

Welcome to the forum.

I'd suggest two things:

• Go online to howtobrew.com and read up on basics - to - advanced brewing techniques to get grounded in the process.
  • Go to midwestsupplies.com or austinhomebrew.com and check out their beginner / intermediate brewing kits. Any equipment you buy will not go obsolete. I still use my original 7 gallon bucket.

Once you've immersed yourself in the info, come back and anyone here will be happy to help you with specific questions.

In the meantime, make yourself comfortable here, browse around and read up. Most of what you want to know has already been discussed at length and is simply a search away.

Welcome to HBT!

You will not find better advice on how to start than what BM has just given you ... good luck!

Hello and Welcome Richard!
There are lots of good online sources to buy an equipment package. Midwest has good kits, prices, and service. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdBySubCat.aspx?SubCat=11166&fd=1

OR, find a local homebrew shop in your area. Local shops usually have a beginner kit and can walk you through the other parts you will need (like a large pot) and a nice beginner beer to brew.

Orfy, one of our Moderators, has some nice brews listed in our recipe database. Might I suggest his Mild (Mild Mannered Ale)? If you haven't brew yet, you might want to start with a canned or boxed kit but keep the mild in mind once you get your feet wet. I don't know all the ends and outs of English brews but to me it's just what an English mild should be. Just my (American) opinion of course but I trust Orfy to know a good English brew. I haven't made his Hob Goblin yet but it's on my short list to get done soon.

Hi Rich, I just started myself...have my first brew in the secondary...and I'm from Warrenville. Check out Two Brothers at http://www.twobrosbrew.com. They have a homebrew shop where you can get everything you need to start out and they are right here in Warrenville close to Rt59 and Butterfield...just a short drive from Glen Ellyn. Well, hope that helps and nice to meet you.

Will, there's also a good local homebrew club, Urban Knaves of Grain (UKG), that meets the last thursday of each month in Warrenville that you might want to check out. There's also some other resources for chicago and chicago-land brewers out ther.

Back