Hello from Arizona

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G2Brew

Reaction score
I feel the need to reintroduce myself, even though I have been a nominal member (and dedicated lurker) for some time now. I recently retired from the Army, and now have time to pursue my love of brewing. I have a pretty fair 20 gal. HERMS system right now, with two chugger pumps and a recirc coil in the HLT for mashing and cooling the post-boil wert) but now that I have a garage and a good supply of equipment (including a nice MIG welder) I am ready to weld up a really good set-up. Any suggestions?

I'm glad you now have time to brew - welcome (or welcome back?)

With the equipment you have, I'm guessing you have already been brewing, at least a little. Correct?

Yes, I've managed to get a system set up and do a little brewing everywhere I went (except Iraq and Afghanistan, more's the pity.) I have been all-grain for about 5 or 6 years, and I've got a working 20 gal. HERMS system with two chuggers and a coil in the HLT for mash recirculating and wort cooling, but it's all on temporary shelving, and I want to build a more stable, dedicated structure. I also had some trouble with the pumps (keeping them primed) so I would like some advice on pump placement.

I don't use pumps in my brewing, but there are many on this forum that do. Ask away - maybe in a separate thread so the right folks will see it. If you do, please show the link here, and I'll check it out. I worked with pumping systems a lot in my job, so might be able to help.

Pumps should be low enough to have sufficient head input. What style pump head? Inline pumps should have the outlet upwards and the inlet on the bottom. Center inlet should have the output facing up. When I prime my pumps I open all the valves 100% and pulse the pump to clear air. Then I restrict the output valve down to be flow I want. The inlet should be as free flowing as possible. You only restrict output to control flow.

Where are you in az?

I live in Chandler. I've been pretty busy with the new job, and completing a second Masters, but we bought a house so I have dedicated space for brewing. The new year looks promising! I have two Chugger pumps. SO, it sounds like I want to place them on my rig below the kettles, with the inlet down and the output pointing up. I'm still using gas for heat, so I assume I need to design it so that the pumps are shielded from the burners. Sound about right?

Sounds about right. My chugger pumps run around 160 here in tucson when it's around 105-110 in the garage. I wouldn't cover them with anything that blocks the flow. They are super water resistant and can be hosed off when unplugged if need be. I'd say a couple feet of head should be enough to avoid prime problems. Should be obvious but the pump head can be rotated on the housing to make the orientation you need and the mounting angle match.

What are you studying?

I live in Chandler. I've been pretty busy with the new job, and completing a second Masters, but we bought a house so I have dedicated space for brewing. The new year looks promising! I have two Chugger pumps. SO, it sounds like I want to place them on my rig below the kettles, with the inlet down and the output pointing up. I'm still using gas for heat, so I assume I need to design it so that the pumps are shielded from the burners. Sound about right?

That sounds like you are on the right path, I would recommend joining ASH, I was a member when I lived out there, great bunch of homebrewers, and a lot of experienced brew rig guys to help you along.

There are homebrew clubs out here but nothing of the caliber of ASH.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm teaching History at Arete Prep in Gilbert, and also getting a second Masters (in History) at ASU. I might want to do the PhD thing in a few years, but probably not. I'm at a place in life where I want to spend more time enjoying my family and my hobbies.

Back