hello from a dabbler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DixieHellcat

Reaction score
hello y'all! Lisa from Nashville here. I've wanted for years to explore homebrewing. This past summer I gave kombucha a try and really liked it. Last week I finally got time to visit our local store. I got some yeast and an airlock and stopper, mixed up some honey and spring water, and started an experimental gallon of mead (with a redneck airlock, aka a balloon with holes in it, because the stopper I bought wouldn't fit the water jug. lol)

Not having any other gear, I didn't check gravity etc, but within 48 hrs it was bubbling like crazy. I checked out some library books and got more hooked. THEN last weekend I was at my cousin's house and he found out I was interested, so he tromped off to his garage and came back with a 5 gallon Brewers Best deluxe kit (Brewers Beast?)! it has everything! So once I figured out halfway how everything worked, I hit the homebrew store again for more yeast and stoppers, hooked my mead up with a real airlock, and just started a gallon of spiced hard cider. I may never make 5 gallons of anything, but I know how to use the hydrometer and so forth now, so, yay me? :D

Anyway, I found y'all while googling for more knowledge, signed up, and thought I'd say hey. (waves) I may wander around and ask dumb questions, so, be prepared, I guess. Someday I might find a beer I like well enough to try brewing a bit of it.

hello y'all! Lisa from Nashville here. I've wanted for years to explore homebrewing. This past summer I gave kombucha a try and really liked it. Last week I finally got time to visit our local store. I got some yeast and an airlock and stopper, mixed up some honey and spring water, and started an experimental gallon of mead (with a redneck airlock, aka a balloon with holes in it, because the stopper I bought wouldn't fit the water jug. lol)

Not having any other gear, I didn't check gravity etc, but within 48 hrs it was bubbling like crazy. I checked out some library books and got more hooked. THEN last weekend I was at my cousin's house and he found out I was interested, so he tromped off to his garage and came back with a 5 gallon Brewers Best deluxe kit (Brewers Beast?)! it has everything! So once I figured out halfway how everything worked, I hit the homebrew store again for more yeast and stoppers, hooked my mead up with a real airlock, and just started a gallon of spiced hard cider. I may never make 5 gallons of anything, but I know how to use the hydrometer and so forth now, so, yay me? :D

Anyway, I found y'all while googling for more knowledge, signed up, and thought I'd say hey. (waves) I may wander around and ask dumb questions, so, be prepared, I guess. Someday I might find a beer I like well enough to try brewing a bit of it.

I got 3/4 of the way through that before I realized I was reading it in a southern accent.

Anyway, welcome!

I got 3/4 of the way through that before I realized I was reading it in a southern accent.

Anyway, welcome!
Ha, you were good then. Although people only seem to notice it when I'm outside the south. Around here, people say I have no southern accent at all. :D I'm a speech therapist, so maybe that's why. Anyhow, hello everybody!

Back