Hello and help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RVB

Reaction score
I started brewing (extracts) in '93 and continued until '02, never progressing beyond specialty malts and toying with hops. I had a keg system which is no longer employable but still have have several cases of Grolsch bottles longing to be used. Life changed (actually several hurricanes) and brewing put way back on the back burner. I lost my daughter in a car accident in '07 and learned two weeks later my wife had cancer. After a long brutal battle I lost her last year and now I have a huge hole in my life I need to fill with something and what better than brewing? God knows I buy and drink enough of it. Whole grain is where I want to end up but I feel I need to start with extracts and go forward. For what it is worth, I made the best beer I ever drank. I also made the worst beer I ever tried to drink.
I have read some of the 'how to's' but I would really like to ask advice on the most reasonable place to buy ingredients/supplies and will go forward from there. I'm sorry this is such a lengthy hello, but hello.

I'm sorry to hear for your losses. I think you'll find this place a good place to come to. There are many different vendors available online and you could always check your area for a local home brew store.

As far as online stores, everybody seems to have their favorites. Here are a few you can check out but there are many more

Moorebeer
MidwestSupplies
NorthernBrewer
Austin HomeBrew Supply

Welcome aboard!

:mug:

I am sorry for your losses. It sounds like too much for a person to bear.

Welcome, and read up here before you brew your first new batch. Things have changed dramatically. Everything from quality to selection to freshness is better and different when buying. Process has changed dramatically too. No more rushing to get the beer off the yeast. Making starters. strict temp control for fermentation. Sanitizers. Clensers. Just so much has changed. But the first batch you will brew, if informed first, will be the best batch you ever made.

RBV,

Sorry to hear about your recent disasters. Nothing will fill that void, but I agree brewing beer is a worthy distraction.

I also used to brew in the late '80's into the early 90's. I started saving bombers last year for a friend who brews and he never came to pick them up so I figured I'd get back into it myself. I'm going to tell you some of the mistakes I made with my first brew back so you don't make them too.

1. I have to cook inside on an electric range. My pot was not quite 4 gallons. Figured a 3 gallon boil was sensible. Once I got to a good boil, I hastily dumped 10 pounds of extract in, plus some hops (shooting for a 2IPA). Instant and MASSIVE boilover! Horrible mess.
2. Not enough ice... Chilled the wort in the kitchen sink. Too lazy to go buy a 20lb bag of ice, figured I had almost 10 lbs already plus a few lunch ice packs. WRONG! The wort chilled so slow I was going into a slow-mo panic. After a few hours and probably an ulcer, I went and bought more ice.
3. Fermented too warm... Tried the "wrap the bucket in a damp towel, put a fan on it" trick. Not good enough in Florida and probably not going to work so well in NC this time of year unless you have a basement. Now I have an old fridge and set a frozen water bottle in it each morning. Keeps it right where I want it, no problem.
4. Here's the best one. Back in the day, the buckets I used did NOT have a spigot at the bottom. I also never transferred the beer to a second chamber before bottling. Instead of reading up on things I rushed in and fermented the beer in the bucket that had the spigot. No big deal, right? Except when the time came to bottle the beer, I eased the bucket from the closet and set it on the carpet (on wood floor) in my office. Evidently, I bumped the spigot into my cigar humidor. When I came in a couple hours later to check the temp, I almost fell over when I picked it up because it was almost empty. about 3.5 gallons of fermented wort was soaked into the rug, and various things I had brought home and stacked on the floor in the office! The Humanity...

I did bottle the remaining beer, which was about 9 bombers. The next day I started over with the same recipe (a 2 Hearted clone) and it was simply amazing!

I wish could say "If only I knew about this site before I brewed that first batch..." but truth is, I probably would have rushed into it anyhow. In the end, I learned a great deal and it really only cost me a carpet that I didn't like anyhow. But learn from my very stupid, juvenile mistakes!

Good luck, post your results.

Brett

RBV,

Sorry to hear about your recent disasters. Nothing will fill that void, but I agree brewing beer is a worthy distraction.

I also used to brew in the late '80's into the early 90's. I started saving bombers last year for a friend who brews and he never came to pick them up so I figured I'd get back into it myself. I'm going to tell you some of the mistakes I made with my first brew back so you don't make them too.

1. I have to cook inside on an electric range. My pot was not quite 4 gallons. Figured a 3 gallon boil was sensible. Once I got to a good boil, I hastily dumped 10 pounds of extract in, plus some hops (shooting for a 2IPA). Instant and MASSIVE boilover! Horrible mess.
2. Not enough ice... Chilled the wort in the kitchen sink. Too lazy to go buy a 20lb bag of ice, figured I had almost 10 lbs already plus a few lunch ice packs. WRONG! The wort chilled so slow I was going into a slow-mo panic. After a few hours and probably an ulcer, I went and bought more ice.
3. Fermented too warm... Tried the "wrap the bucket in a damp towel, put a fan on it" trick. Not good enough in Florida and probably not going to work so well in NC this time of year unless you have a basement. Now I have an old fridge and set a frozen water bottle in it each morning. Keeps it right where I want it, no problem.
4. Here's the best one. Back in the day, the buckets I used did NOT have a spigot at the bottom. I also never transferred the beer to a second chamber before bottling. Instead of reading up on things I rushed in and fermented the beer in the bucket that had the spigot. No big deal, right? Except when the time came to bottle the beer, I eased the bucket from the closet and set it on the carpet (on wood floor) in my office. Evidently, I bumped the spigot into my cigar humidor. When I came in a couple hours later to check the temp, I almost fell over when I picked it up because it was almost empty. about 3.5 gallons of fermented wort was soaked into the rug, and various things I had brought home and stacked on the floor in the office! The Humanity...

I did bottle the remaining beer, which was about 9 bombers. The next day I started over with the same recipe (a 2 Hearted clone) and it was simply amazing!

I wish could say "If only I knew about this site before I brewed that first batch..." but truth is, I probably would have rushed into it anyhow. In the end, I learned a great deal and it really only cost me a carpet that I didn't like anyhow. But learn from my very stupid, juvenile mistakes!

Good luck, post your results.

Brett

Good thing you didn't choose a hobby which didn't involve explosive devices, you'd have blow up your house by now! good stories.:tank:

Wow is all. Can't even begin to imagine not having my family here everyday. I commend you for waking up and living every day.

I think you will find that this is a "community" and that there are some amazing and talented people here and the best part is 99.9% of them on here will bend over backwards to help with brewing related stuff!
Welcome and hope to see you around!
Jeremy

RVB, there is nothing I can say except my heart goes out to you for persevering through such times but it is very encouraging to see you here!

As Dan gave some good online sources I wanted to add that I have used Craigslist from time to time. Home Depot/Lowes can be a good friend:D

I have done a some crafting and converting myself for example, I built my own Immersion Chiller. To make one I had to learn how to cut and "sweat" copper tubing.

Anytime you can convert or create your own piece of equipment it is a win-win situation!

Just my thoughts and good luck to you!

Thank you one and all. I suppose before I start buying I need to start reading. 'The Complete Joy of Homebrewing' was my bible. I'm sure it is still here somewhere but I won't bother looking for it. Thanks again. - Ray

Thank you one and all. I suppose before I start buying I need to start reading. 'The Complete Joy of Homebrewing' was my bible. I'm sure it is still here somewhere but I won't bother looking for it. Thanks again. - Ray

I have an extra copy. Was shipped two by mistake from amazon, tried to send it back they said RDWHAHB. I'd be happy to mail it to you.

PM Sent

I hope brewing can fill you with some joy, although it cant possibly be the same. I would suggest finding a local shop and a local brew club. Meeting people who have done it face to face (all grain that is) is the best way to 1) get a clear idea of the process and 2) get excited enough to try it your self.

Any of the big online suppliers is good, I like brewmasterswarehouse as they are close to me (and you for that matter) and I get fast and cheap shipping.

Two books (in addition to the complete joy of homebrewing) I'd recommend are How to brew by John Palmer for a comprehensive book and brewing classic styles for a comprehensive list of excellent and fool proof recipes and best practices.

Good luck on this endeavor, I hope you enjoy it even a bit as much as most of us here do.

Latest posts

Back