Hello all

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRTBREW

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been lurking here for quite some time and figured I had might as well say hello. From what I can tell this has got to be the most well informed friendliest forum out there.

Today I bought my basic homebrew kit from my LHBS, The homebrewery in ozark, mo. It consists of 1 7gal. plastic fermentor, 1 6 gal. bottling bucket, 1 hydrometer, 1 floating thermometer, 1 handheld bottle capper, 1 package norinse sanatizer, 1 autosyphon, 5 feet syphon hose, 1 bottle filler, 144 bottle caps etc.

I'm starting with a dme wheat kit. I want to make a hefe. What kind of yeast do I need? The kit came with yeast, but it's a pretty generic ale yeast.

Also will using an aluminum brewpot instead of stainless make any difference?

Thank you all for any advice, and I look forward to enjoying the hobby.

Aluminum makes no difference, and if I had one suggestion, it would be to get rid of that floating thermometer. All it's going to do it break and ruin everything in the pot/fermenter.

So should I buy a metal thermometer? The last thing I want is broken glass.

thanks z

Ditto on the aluminum being ok. Never had a problem. Even conducts heat faster than stainless. I wouldn't get to hung up on yeast in the beginning. I have had great success with dry yeast. Get a long stainless thermometer, like the ones that come with turkey fryers, works great.

Latest posts

Back