Helliday Ale - Dang beer won't carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FensterBos

Reaction score
I have had the worst luck with this batch of beer:
1. Put it in my refrigerator to cold crash and carb; fridge acted funny and froze the keg of beer. Gas leaked.
2. Thawed beer and put it in my new kegerator; liquid ball lock damaged and leaked 1/5 of the keg and all CO2 leaked out again.
3. Replaced all components necessary; filled tank with CO2, set PSI to 20, checked leaks - no problems. Had it connected to gas for at least five days - showing no signs of carbonation. Fridge was turned off and beer was warm.

Guh!

Anyway, the beer won't carb. I'm close to just pouring this down the drain since the freshness is starting to waiver after so much has happened to it. Any reason why I might not getting carbonation?

20 psi at room temp (say 68 degrees) is only about 2 volumes of CO2, and it would need to be hooked up for a couple weeks to be fully carbonated. Set it to a proper pressure (you'll need close to 30 psi for 2.5-2.6 volumes) and give it 10-14 more days.

I'm not sure why the "freshness would start to waiver", it sounds like you've fixed some problems but now you just have to carb it up! Remember it's very hard to serve a warm keg, so make sure you chill it down before serving (and drop the pressure accordingly). :mug:

Back