Helena Montana going All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cookiedds

Reaction score
After a 10 year absence, I'm back to brewing. I set up a 10 gallon rubbermaid mash tun with a false bottom, bought a 10 gallon brew pot, a Barley Crusher mill, a few new carboys...........etc. (I have a very understanding wife). She didn't flinch when I came home with a hundred lbs of Maris Otter.
Brewed an all grain IPA using Beer Smith software last weekend that I racked into secondary yesterday (1.064 OG, now at 1.012) and brewed an ESB yesterday that kicked into gear 40 minutes after pitching my starter and is at high krausen as I wright this. The IPA tastes awesome! Great balance, big hop nose with smooth finish (calculated 75 IBU) Cascade/Willamette. Can't wait for it to condition for a couple weeks, get it in bottles and see how it finishes when it's carbonated and at serving temp!
It's great to be back, I'm enjoying this forum as well. Thanks for all the tips, advice and insight.

You've got some funky Belgians in your brewing history. When are you planning on doing a lambic, that's like a 1 to two year project? I'd be up for a go with a lambic, especially a Flathead cherry lambic. What's your location and timeline?

You've got some funky Belgians in your brewing history. When are you planning on doing a lambic, that's like a 1 to two year project? I'd be up for a go with a lambic, especially a Flathead cherry lambic. What's your location and timeline?

Almost bought a 55 gallon barrel from one of the wineries in the Flathead, but decided not to because I didn't want to have to try to fill it by myself. Would have to wait on them to "retire" some more and go pick it up. Then I could brew whenever. Would probably do two different brewdays to fill it up unless I had lots of help.

I'm wanting to use it as a solera barrel, and would definitely be racking some of it off at some point onto some Flathead cherries. Planning on doing a huckleberry lambic this summer too.

I've got another friend who also wants to do a Lambic here in Helena, we could do a little co-op project and brew up something pretty special. Maybe do the base and rack onto 3 seperate renditions then split the spoils. I might be able to pick up a barrel if we do another Washington wine tasting later this year.

60 gallons.....whats your brewing setup capable of handling? Probably do several batches or sessions to fill the monster? Could do a coop where everyone brings their mash tuns and kettles to do it all at once.

Tell me about your Breakfast Stout. I'm about to brew an Oatmeal Stout and an American Brown Ale.

Yeah, it's going to take every vessel I have that will hold liquid to fill that thing I think. I have keggles so I could do maybe 12 or 13 gallons at a time.

I'm planning on pulling out 10 gallons once a year and replacing it with fresh wort.

smelly, I'm the guy Cookie is referring to. I have a converted Keg for a brewpot and a 5 gal cooler for a mashtun. I have another keg to convert for a larger mashtun, but lack the finances to do so. I'm 100% down for doing a lambic. I may be able to get a good deal on Flathead Cherries and Huckleberries through a buddy of mine.

Secondary/Aging: Organic Bluberry Melomel and Pomegranite Melomel
Up Next: Dark IPA, Red Summer Ale, and Saison.

Sounds like we need to organize a Helena group brew day. I'm gonna probably start a solera in this barrel, but we could get another one or just do our lambics in carboys. It was only $75 so it's be cheap to split the cost.

Back