heineken labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerly

Reaction score
I have a friend who has access to an endless supply of heineken bottles. The labels are the clear plastic kind. Does anyone have a solution that removes those kind of labels without a lot of elbow grease?

nope, I HATE those plastic labels. You end up just having to rip them off and they leave all that adhesive behind. Then you can soak them and the adhesive will most likely come off - although I've never tried it on a Heineken bottle before.

I have a lot of heineken bottles and what I've done and seems to be the easiest is just peel the labels off and the soak the bottles in a little hot water... and then the adhesive wipes right off... its not that hard... I've had a harder time with some paper labels... good luck...

Jester

jerly said:
I have a friend who has access to an endless supply of heineken bottles. The labels are the clear plastic kind. Does anyone have a solution that removes those kind of labels without a lot of elbow grease?
Soak them in oxyclean then peel off the labels...the adhesive will still be on the bottle, but a quick rub with a scruffy will take that off.

I dont know. I have had the hardest time with amstel light bottles. They have the same plastic labels...

I can usually peel off most of the label, but the adhesive is left behind, and as much as I soak it in my 150 degree tap water, it doesnt come off.

SteveM said:
Four replies and no one questioning the wisdom of using green bottles yet? This must be a new record!
I was gonna let him slide on the green bottles so I could jump down his throat later for using corn sugar. ;)

Besides, it's really a sin to be using twelve oz bottles anyway, so what difference does it make if they're green. :D

I'm completely aware of the green bottle thing, and I am going to store them in a dark place. I learned my lesson about the corn sugar on my first batch. I did mention that the heineken bottles were free, and I have used up my 2 cases of the good brown bottles I have purchased. I will gladly take a donation of bottles if you would like to send them to me.

Love

Jerly

I have a ton of heineken bottles, but I am slowly converting to all guiness bottles... there brown and the labels arent glued to the bottle...

Four replies and no one questioning the wisdom of using green bottles yet? This must be a new record!

I'll bite . . .

:off: The whole "GAWD FORBID YOU ARENT USEING BROWN BOTTLES" is dumb :off:

It's not like you are storing your beer on the surface of the sun or out in the middle of the back yard. I would guess MOST of us store them in some sort of closed case, in a closet, fridge, or in some other dark place and the only time our beer sees the light of day is just b4 you pour it into galss or when you open the door to get to them. I'm not 100% sure here but I'm willing to wager 1 batch (5 gallons) that beer DOES NOT go skunky from light exposure so fast that the 3 seconds of sunlight that MIGHT hit a bottle would be a problem. If you are shipping your beer ok, then brown is the way to go but otherwise who cares.

:mug:This thread is now successfully de-railed:mug:

Pumbaa said:
It's not like you are storing your beer on the surface of the sun or out in the middle of the back yard.
Actually, I do store mine on the surface of the sun...I find it's almost as effective a sanitizer as bleach or tap water. :p

oh yeah and Hydrometers suck arent needed and are dumb

if you use bleach you are not a real brewer

The only real brewer in the entire world lives in Guam

Figured if I'm going to deral someting I'm just gonna take out the entire line, train, tracks, and station

:ban:

jerly said:
I learned my lesson about the corn sugar on my first batch.

What lesson would this be? I use corn sugar all the time and it's either not trying to teach me anything, or I'm too stupid to get the lesson. :)

-walker

I'm refering to the 3 pounds of corn sugar that I dumped into my first batch with the 3 pound can of malt extract. I absolutly hated the result. Homebrew store guy explained it was the sugar, most likely. I've since made four more batches using only malt extract and sugar only to bottle and like the results infinitly better.

i keep my beer in green-tinted, see through aluminum cans

i prime with 5 ounces of bleach

after i take a hydrometer reading i gargle the sample, then spit it back in the fermentor

i whirlpool my wort with my weiner

i bottle after the beer has been in the secondary for 10 minutes

i broke up with a girl because she said she liked coors-lite

i keep my beer in green-tinted, see through aluminum cans
i prime with 5 ounces of bleach
after i take a hydrometer reading i gargle the sample, then spit it back in the fermentor
i whirlpool my wort with my weiner
i bottle after the beer has been in the secondary for 10 minutes
i broke up with a girl because she said she liked coors-lite

You just made me swallow my cigarette

ROFLMAO

jerly said:
I'm completely aware of the green bottle thing, and I am going to store them in a dark place. ...I did mention that the heineken bottles were free, and I have used up my 2 cases of the good brown bottles I have purchased. I will gladly take a donation of bottles if you would like to send them to me.

Love

Jerly

Just in fun, Jerly! No offense intended! I apologize!

El Pistolero said:
I was gonna let him slide on the green bottles so I could jump down his throat later for using corn sugar. ;)

Besides, it's really a sin to be using twelve oz bottles anyway, so what difference does it make if they're green. :D

Whats wrong with using 12oz bottles? I use them all the time. What size do other people use, 40's?

weberju said:
Whats wrong with using 12oz bottles? I use them all the time. What size do other people use, 40's?
The gods intended that beer be served in pints...anything else is heresy. ;)

One thing you might want to be concerned about......I tried to bottle using Heineken bottles, and they wouldn't take a cap.

I don't know if it was due to my capper, or what, but you might want to test cap a couple before putting any work into removing the labels.

European bottles have a different mouth size than North American ones, thus the capping problem. I tossed a nice bunch of brown German bottles into the recycle bin (I forget what beer) for that reason. But you can buy caps (and I suppose a capper) to compensate.

Note that Harp and Guinness are bottled in Canada, so those bottles work with standard North American caps.

SteveM said:
European bottles have a different mouth size than North American ones, thus the capping problem. I tossed a nice bunch of brown German bottles into the recycle bin (I forget what beer) for that reason. But you can buy caps (and I suppose a capper) to compensate.

Note that Harp and Guinness are bottled in Canada, so those bottles work with standard North American caps.

I think HB99 said that you can take your butterfly capper, pull out the metal plates that do the crimping with pliers, rotate them 180° and re-instert them. They have semi-circle notches cut out of both sides. One side is for american bottles, and the other side is for UK bottles. The same caps will work for american and UK bottles, they just need crimped differently.

At least, this is what I THINK I recall him (or someone else) saying. Never actually verified it myself, but take a look at your capper and see if it's true.

-walker

Back