Height of BG14 burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I-Hop

Reaction score
Hello.
I just finished building my weldless single tier brewstand. Ran it through a test run today, and I melted the reflectix insulation and the test water in the sight glasses was boiling. Could this be due to my BG14's being at the wrong height? They are mounted 3" below the deck of the stand. Also, I only had the gas valves throttled to about 1/4 of the way open. Any advice would be appreciated, since I am chomping at the bit to brew my 1st all grain batch. I tried to upload some pics but could not, sorry.

My Blichmann bg14 burner stands put the kettle bottoms 2-3/4" above the the burner tips, so 3" seems pretty reasonable.

But there will be an exhaust plume rolling across the bottom and escaping wherever it can, so you need to account for that.
I use the small stainless steel sheets that Blichmann provides to shield the sight gauges and ball valves from the heat, and keep hoses away from any open spaces around the kettle bottom.

As for Reflectix wrapped around a gas-fired vessel, I'm not sure I've ever seen that work without at least a fiberglass welding blanket wrapped around it...

Cheers!

Makes sense.
I think I'll look into some heat shields. I think Brew Hardware has some decent heat shields on their website. Maybe I'll try those out.

As far as the reflectix, maybe I should just go full bore and install a HERMS coil and automation to my setup and forget the insulation. I had planned on it anyway, and have a lot of the parts already. I just wanted to brew a few batches in the meantime. Time is short lately with 3 little ones demanding the lions share of my attention, so it may take some time to build out the rest of the setup.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

I just finished building my single teir welded brew stand with BG14 burners. I had my brackets welded so the top of my burner to the bottom of the keggle is 2 1/2 inches away (what I read on here was best distance). When I fired it up, turned the dial maybe only 1/4 of the way, I had flames coming out the side's and was barely able to get a small boil going. I'm lowering mine to 3 1/2-4 inches and hope this solves the problem.

They're running on high pressure. I plan to change the HLT & MLT to low pressure and install a HERMS coil, gas valves/pilots, etc. My boil kettle will still be at high pressure though.

I had planned on running a few batches with the direct fired MLT before I switch to HERMS just to familiarize myself with all grain brewing.

Ok, im having issues with my high pressure system, it is like my lp tank cant push enough to run high pressure... Burns good for about 2 or 3 min then shuts off...

Latest posts

Back