Hefewiezen crush??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

givemaboot

Reaction score
I brewed a hefewiezen today. I had a stuck sparge and had to work to get enough wort for 6.5 gallons. I had alot of small particles going into the brew kettle. I always transfer from the kettle to the fermenter through a brew funnel. Today, I had to constantly stir the funnel because of it kept clogging up with the paticles. I have never had this problem with any other brew. Is this common with wheat beers, or did my LHBS mill the grain to fine?:confused:

Wheat is prone to stuck sparges because it doesn't have the hull that barley does - most guys throw in a handful or two of rice hulls to add some bulk and keep the grain bed flowing.

i second that. Also you may have some astringency issues with the finished beer due to all the grain. When it makes it into the boil its no good. What type of MLT are you using?

For weizens I crush the pilsener malt quite coarse, but wheat or rye malts as fine as possible. It has no husk anyway.
+1 to rice hulls - they should solve your problems.

I am using an Igloo 5 gallon cooler with a cpvc manifold.

Several questions; What do you mean asstringency issues???:confused:

How much rice hull do you add

My beer is fermenting VIOLENTLY is this commonn wheat?
I used a smack pack 3068.

I just put my ale pail in a water-ice bottle bath, and it is holding @ 66 deg. in the basement. Is this o.k. for the remainder of the fermentation?

I would use 2 handfuls to a 5 gallon batch. I've never had a stuck sparge, kn ock on wood, but I use a stainless braid. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Wheat is also known for very active fermentation...if you don't have a blow-off tube attached you'll want to do that right away.

I just put my ale pail in a water-ice bottle bath, and it is holding @ 66 deg. in the basement. Is this o.k. for the remainder of the fermentation?

Yeah, I think that's a good temp personally. Anything in the mid to upper 60's is good, I think for that yeast.

Back