Hefeweizen Yeast Stressing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phreak

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking to experiment with my next Hefeweizen batch in an attempt to make a banana bomb. I'm thinking about stressing the yeast by underpitching, little/no aeration and higher temps (74-76 ish?). My only concern is with doing this, is turning this banana bomb into an Orville Redenbacher pale ale. Is there a limit to stressing and/or higher temps doing this to avoid the diacetyl esters but keeping the banana? Anyone else experiment with this? Thanks.

One thing i can say is definitely do not go over the recommended ferm temp for the yeast, it will be really bad. I did that once with a hef and it was undrinkable. Personally i would use wienstephans yeast at proper temp and pitching rate at the high end of the temp. Always comes out extremely banana like. Stressing the yeast can provide good flavors but more often than not especially with belgian strains you get a lot of unexpected results that way

I make alot of Hefes. Don't underpitch and don't underaerate. You'll get more quality issues than just the banana esters.

Just manipulate the temp. I LOVVVVE a good banana bomb. I use Wyeast 3068 and ferment at 72 ambient and get a ton of banana.

Thanks a ton, guys. That's really good to know. I think I'll take the advice, ditch the stressing and just go with the appropriate strain and ferm within its high range. :mug:

You may want to check out the Northern Brewer video called "Talking Yeast with Wyeast Laboratories," particularly around the 15:30 minute mark.

The guy basically says the banana/clove balance is pitch rate dependent: 14-18 million cells per milliliter for more clove, 6 million cells per milliliter for more banana (note that 6 million is an underpitch according to the popular pitch rate calculators).

Most people on here seem to believe that temperature controls the banana/clove balance, but my experience has convinced me that temperature has more to do with the intensity of these flavors while the balance is determined more by pitch rate.

I generally pitch WLP300 or 3068 without making a starter (don't tell on me), ferment at 68 and get big banana aromas/flavors without any off flavors. YMMV.

Latest posts

Back