Hefeweizen with 10-15% headspace, take liquid out or leave it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Nino

Reaction score
Hey guys, first time doing a hefe and I hear how explosive the fermentations can get for them. So after chilling the wort and transferring to the carboy, I don't have much headspace at all. I have a blowoff set up so should it be ok? I can't babysit it this weekend, so I'm a little nervous.

Using Wyeast 3068, if that matters, attached a pic also

D918FB05-B25F-47A5-9047-1C9254BDE3B8.jpeg

Depending on your ferm-temp. If you're down at 16-17C, My guess is you might do it or at least get a slight blowout. If you are over and have been using fresh liquid yeast (in both scenarioes) it's gonna blow.

*Edit. I misread. You DO have a blowoff with what seems to be a good ID of the hose.

It's at 21.11C (70F), I wanted to get some banana flavors for this one :)

Blowoff is probably a 100% scenario if I leave it like this, but was wondering if that's the best thing for the beer itself? I read somewhere that if there's a strong blowoff, a lot of the yeast blows off which makes the remaining yeast in the carboy have to work harder, any truth to it?

It's at 21.11C (70F), I wanted to get some banana flavors for this one :)

Blowoff is probably a 100% scenario if I leave it like this, but was wondering if that's the best thing for the beer itself? I read somewhere that if there's a strong blowoff, a lot of the yeast blows off which makes the remaining yeast in the carboy have to work harder, any truth to it?

I have no idea. Mine are having blowouts every batch, still good beer. And I harvest it. There's enough yeast inside to make the job.

Make sure your blowoff tube feeds into something with VOLUME, not a little cup! I normally use a growler to host the blowoff tube, and it’s been fine for 3068... though, I had more headspace.

Good to know, it's a jar that can hold 8 cups (half gal) is that good enough?

Last edited:
almost a full day in, honestly this fermentation isn't as vigorous as I was expecting (was expecting a volcano or something lol). It does smell delicious though. Does this yeast reach its peak on day 3 like US-05?

I did use filtered tap water, which in my experience, has fermentations with much less krausen than when I use bottled spring water. However, I haven't noticed a difference in taste, so I'm sticking with filtered tap and saving myself $5 lol. Matter of fact my best brew was from a filtered tap water brew with a pretty weak krausen (grapefruit scuplin clone)

8 cups is the same volume as the growler I use... my guess is it is OK. Put just a couple of inches of sanitizer in it, just enough to make an airlock, so there is a lot of volume left for yeast sludge.

If possible place the jar into another vessel of some kind, just in case it overflows. It would probably be OK without that, but that is cheap insurance if you will be away from home. Next time, you will know what to expect!

Edit to add: I seem to recall things peaking more on day 2-3 but if it is manageable at 1 day you are probably not gonna get a volcano.

almost day 3, there was slight blowoff but not much. I really expected this yeast to be violent but it's pretty similar to US-05. I think the water has something to do with it? I had some violent US-05 fermentations using bottled spring water, but pretty tame when using the filtered tap water.

Latest posts

Back