Hefeweizen question... how long to condition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MariaAZ

Reaction score
I tried the search function but didn't find anything definitive, so my apologies in advance if I missed it.

I want to brew a hefeweizen, I've located an easy kit from the LHBS (6 lbs Bavarian DME, Hallertau hops & Weihenstephan Wheat yeast.) Everything I've read says that hefes are best enjoyed as young beers.

I've also read that secondary for hefes isn't really necessary since they are supposed to be cloudy, so I'm assuming I skip this step and bottle straight from primary. How long do hefes need to bottle condition before they taste their best? And how long do they last (stored at, say, 70 degrees F) before they begin to decline?

Yes, you can skip the secondary if you want, but I always do one anyway to allow more of the yeast to drop out.

After you bottle more yeast will fall out also so you can swirl it to get a creamier head.

I usually find my HWs are best after a month in the bottle (if the carb level is as your desired strength) and a couple of days in the fridge.:D

I have HWs that are over 6 months old and have had no problems with any of them.

I plan on brewing a HW this weekend (plan to anyway...) to be ready this summer...maybe another batch next weekend to build up my inventory.

I'm still gathering...or trying to...equipment for kegging. I purchased 25 cornies that I want to clean up and recondition. I already have thos parts now I just need the time between home improvements.

Just tiled a bathroom and put in a new sink. Have to touch up the walls where the tight fitting sink damaged, put up a medicine cabinet and a toilet topper...put the toilet back in...full weekend I think.:eek:

Hi Maria,

I am not a expert here (only on second batch). I brewed a hefe on Dec. 31st, it's still bubbling away in the primary. Most of what I read, it take a little while (10-14 days) to complete fermentation. I had added honey so it might take a little longer.

Im not sure if I will bottle or rack into my secondary when its done fermenting. I don't have any clean bottles and Im feeling kinda lazy to spend the time to clean and sanitize. My secondary is all ready to go. I don't think it will hurt my brew if I left it in a secondary for a week or so, just would clear it up a little more.

Since this is my first hefe, Im not sure how long they would last. Im sure for a good while (6 month to a year). But again... Im no expert. Someone with more experience would know better.

Hope that helps...

Back