hefeweizen or Weissbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
Weissbier and/or Hefeweizen - Are they the same? Before you could readily find wheat beers in bottles, where I used to live (Milwaukee a while ago) we used to always call them Weissbier. When I moved to AZ and asked for a Weissbier at a bar I got the tilted head look. Now I ask for a Hefeweizen as that seems to be the more common name nowadays. Their the same thing aren't they? Now for those that have visited Germany what the heck do they call em?

Something different to chat about besides brewing... :p

desertBrew said:
Weissbier and/or Hefeweizen - Are they the same? Before you could readily find wheat beers in bottles, where I used to live (Milwaukee a while ago) we used to always call them Weissbier. When I moved to AZ and asked for a Weissbier at a bar I got the tilted head look. Now I ask for a Hefeweizen as that seems to be the more common name nowadays. Their the same thing aren't they? Now for those that have visited Germany what the heck do they call em?

Something different to chat about besides brewing... :p

I guess it depends on if you're talking about german to english translation or brandnames. Weissbier translates to "wheat beer"... or it could be "white beer" (I was a little drunk when it was being explained to me... I don't speak any german at all). I always thought that Hefeweizen was a brand-name of a weissbier. I could be wrong as I'm a little non-observant when it comes to that kinda thing.

I was never a big fan of Hefeweizen (or if there are several types, I shortchanged myself, as I ordered a Hefeweizen at a pub and didn't like it so I never ordered it again) My favorites from Germany was the Lowenbrau and Hofbrau, both drank in their respective tents during Oktoberfest :D

seven77 said:
I guess it depends on if you're talking about german to english translation or brandnames. Weissbier translates to "wheat beer"... or it could be "white beer" (I was a little drunk when it was being explained to me... I don't speak any german at all). I always thought that Hefeweizen was a brand-name of a weissbier. I could be wrong as I'm a little non-observant when it comes to that kinda thing.

I was never a big fan of Hefeweizen (or if there are several types, I shortchanged myself, as I ordered a Hefeweizen at a pub and didn't like it so I never ordered it again) My favorites from Germany was the Lowenbrau and Hofbrau, both drank in their respective tents during Oktoberfest :D

Yea, I always thought Hefeweizen was a brand name as well but after a little research Weizen looks to be a southern Germany way of pronouncing Weiss. Hefe means yeast so Yeasty wheat/white beer might be the ticket. You were correct with your weissbier translation as well... I actually don't enjoy the standard weissbier we get here either. The wife does so that's the next batch i gotta make...

sause said:
Just want to let you know that it is still call Weissbier up her in Milwaukee.

Very good! BTW, I grew up in Menomonee Falls as well!! Used to always get a nice "Weissbier" at Weissgerbers Gast Haus in Waukesha. I'll be back for Summerfest!

They are the same beer.

"Hefe Weizen" is actually "Wheat with Yeast" You can order it " mit oder ohne hefe" - with or without the yeast. This is NOT the same as a "Kristall" (Crystal) which had the floating yeasties removed prior to bottling.

"Weiss" is the German word for "white".

Sie kann beides bestellen. You can order both (either one).

BTW, on the east coast you order a soda, in the midwest a pop, and in Arizona soda pop.

My buddy went to Germany and they had both at some of the bars he was in.........

I like them both and also buy Heffeweizen here, also St Paulies was very good to........

I just bottles a Weise 2 weeks ago! should be good :cool:

homebrewer_99 said:
They are the same beer.

"Hefe Weizen" is actually "Wheat with Yeast" You can order it " mit oder ohne hefe" - with or without the yeast. This is NOT the same as a "Kristall" (Crystal) which had the floating yeasties removed prior to bottling.

"Weiss" is the German word for "white".

Sie kann beides bestellen. You can order both (either one).

BTW, on the east coast you order a soda, in the midwest a pop, and in Arizona soda pop.
And here in the South we call every kind of soda a "Coke" no matter what the brand - even Pepsis are called cokes.
Leave it to the south to bastardize the english language!

Hefe-Weizen is my favorite beer to brew and drink. Paulaner's brew got me into it and that's mainly what I drink/brew

I've only found the franziskaner weisebier here. But the pauler Hefeweizen is more flowery kind of hop notes compared to the franziskaner weisebeir. Both are good. So it dpends on if I want flowery with esters or not. Both bottles delabel well & seal great. I noticed paulaner stopped marketing bottles with the bearded monks embossed on the shoulder though. Bummer. I better try harder to keep my embossed paulaner bottles at home from now on...

I've only found the franziskaner weisebier here. But the pauler Hefeweizen is more flowery kind of hop notes compared to the franziskaner weisebeir. Both are good. So it dpends on if I want flowery with esters or not. Both bottles delabel well & seal great. I noticed paulaner stopped marketing bottles with the bearded monks embossed on the shoulder though. Bummer. I better try harder to keep my embossed paulaner bottles at home from now on...

i haven't tried the Pauler. I will give it a try. The Franziskaner weissbier the only one i can find in Seattle

A little under 3 yrs shy of a decade resurrection. There has been too much beer consumed to recall even posting this. :mug:

Back