Hefeweizen... Four Weeks Grain to Glass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mozart

Reaction score
Ugh!

Just realized I have the wrong judging date for the homebrew competition I've been planning on entering, and the brew date's already set.

I'd set the brewing date figuring 5 weeks 'grain to glass' and with the mix-up, I'm looking at four.

I know Hefeweizen's are good young, so two weeks to carb/condition should be enough... I hope?

Should be good. You will get the nice haze, which will also have more particles suspended, giving you more flavor/aroma

If you are bottling, you can do a proper Hefe in about 20 days, brew day to serve, depending on your climate (which affects the speed of bottle conditioning).

My last American wheat was 19 days grain to glass and it was bottle conditioned. If you have your fermentation process dialed in then you don't have anything to worry about for a hefe if you have 5 weeks.

Thanks for the reassurance everyone.

I'll have two full weeks in my fermentation chamber and two weeks in bottles -- at least one of the weeks the bottles will be in my possession before turning them over, so I can keep the temp on the warm side to ensure it carbs up as I don't know if/when they'll be chilled prior to judging.

Thanks again!

I just tested a half extra light dme and half wheat dme ale after 2 weeks in primary and only 1 week in bottles.
Nicely carbed. Just a tad bit sour, will only get better. Strange thing: Very clear. I didn't use any clarifying agents and didn't cold crash. Not sure why so clear. Lemon zest? Don't know.

Back