Hefeweizen - first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddMic

Reaction score
I bought Hank's Hefeweizen from Midwest supplies and brewed it as my first beer. Followed the recipe but it seems my beer is kinda "think" and tastes pretty malty. Both the OG and FG were on point with what the recipe said. It spent 2 weeks in primary and 2 weeks in a bottle.

Is it suppose to be dark, thick, and malty? Tastes alright other than that.
Maybe more water next time?

Best thing you can do it call the brew supply and talk to them about it. There are a lot of different kits from a lot of different brew supply stores but the people you bought it from will be able to tell you the most about it.

Good question, Smoke. I would say it was probably 4 1/2 at the lowest? I didn't properly measure it as my bottling session included the in-laws helping out

4.5 gallons is fine but it may account for the slightly maltier flavors given that you didn't top it up (the wort was still a bit concentrated when it went into the fermenter). Get it up to 5 gallons or a bit more in the future and you might have better results. You'll lose a bit more volume through the fermentation process as is...

Back