Hefeweizen Fermentation/Bottling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biscostew

Reaction score
I brewed 12 gallons of hefeweizen this past Saturday. Today I read about a local weizen contest the weekend of 5/4. Trouble is in order for me to get the entries to the comp I would need to bottle them this weekend and send them on their way.

My question is is it feasible to bottle after a one week primary assuming the FG is within reason as to not create IED's for the contest? It would be three weeks old which could be optimal for a hefeweizen the day of the comp.

Thought and opinions are greatly appreciated.

If you can reach final gravity, that would be only one problem solved. Not all competitions store the beer the same. Some keep them room temp until a few days before the judging, while others refrigerate upon arrival. For bottle conditioning, you'll need to keep that in mind.

If you're industrious, you might want to add a sprinkle of lager yeast at bottling to play it safe on both of those counts.

Back